Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend rides her Trek 1000 year around and seems to get a lot of flats. Probably one every 3 days to a week! They happen on both wheels and generally are failures around the valve stem. Not stem seperation, but what looks like serrated scuffing from the stem threads or wheel on the thick rubber base around the stem. Whenever I have flats on my Trek 5000 they generally are similar in cause. What's the deal? Is it because we're using the fully threaded Bontrager tubes, or is there some sort of tape that we could build up around the valve stem opening or on the tube itself? Thanks.

· Zeppelin/Ultegra Rider
930 Posts
stihl said:
Check for metal burrs around the rim valve stem hole.
Don't just look at it, run your finger around it. Sometimes a very tiny burr can be almost invisible, but can be felt. A quick buffing with emery cloth should fix that right up.

· Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
johnnydanger said:
My girlfriend rides her Trek 1000 year around and seems to get a lot of flats. Probably one every 3 days to a week! They happen on both wheels and generally are failures around the valve stem. Not stem seperation, but what looks like serrated scuffing from the stem threads or wheel on the thick rubber base around the stem. Whenever I have flats on my Trek 5000 they generally are similar in cause. What's the deal? Is it because we're using the fully threaded Bontrager tubes, or is there some sort of tape that we could build up around the valve stem opening or on the tube itself? Thanks.
Something's wrong, that's for sure. She's not using presta valve tubes in rims drilled for Schrader valves, is she?

Also, have you taken it to the LBS to see if they see anything obvious?

· Registered
9 Posts
I got the same problem running flat 4 times last week. All four flats happened to the same area (front wheel, at the opposite end of the valve). Then removed the front tire, and found the rim tape not properly cover one of the spoke hole. Do you think that might be the problem for my flat????

· Cat 6 rider
3,119 Posts
keang24 said:
I got the same problem running flat 4 times last week. All four flats happened to the same area (front wheel, at the opposite end of the valve). Then removed the front tire, and found the rim tape not properly cover one of the spoke hole. Do you think that might be the problem for my flat????
If the holes in the tube were at approximately the point where the rim tape wasn't doing its job, that's probably it. When you get a flat, if you replace the tube rather than patching it, mark the hole and its orientation on the wheel (left side, right side) with a sharpie and date it. If you get another flat soon after you can compare where the holes are. If they happen in the same place all the time you've got something in either the tire or wheel causing them. If you go for a while without a flat then discard the old tube.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.