Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, I suppose this thread may be better suited for General or Wrenching, but if the mods want to move it, I guess they will....

Yesterday I posted my impressions of the installation of my DA 7900 gruppo. That thread, in the Components/Wrenching forum, <a href="https://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=170291"><b>Can be found HERE</b></a>. Now, the ride report…..

NOTE: Recall that this new 7900 group replaced a DA 7700 that was new in 2000. Two things now jump out immediately upon getting on the bike. 1). The shift cables are gone! I do appreciate the cleaner look of having the cables under the bar wrap. 2) The hoods are a lot more comfortable. Yeah, this is very subjective. But the broader top and overall feel of the hoods in my hands is great. The improved ergonomics (for me, anyway..) gets a big thumbs-up. The transition from bar-to-hood is smooth, and the flat section on the top of the hoods feels longer to me – maybe offering more variation in hand positions.

appearance of bars is much cleaner now

PERFORMANCE: The biggest performance change is in the brakes…. Holy cow!! Really, REALY powerful braking. Without a great deal of lever pull (and without the application of my trademark spine-snapping grip of steel), these bad boys shut things down in a hurry. On a scoring scale, these stoppers get a 9++.

SHIFTERS: Compared to the old 7700, brake levers/shifters are in a different position on virtually every axis relative to hand position whether on the drops or hoods.

Needless to say, I missed several shifts while stabbing and fumbling with levers that were not where my brain thought they should be. It will take a little more time to get used to the new position and feel. Shifting performance is very good though. Just what I’d hoped for, actually. Clean, crisp, smooth and predictable. The shifting throws feel like they’re shorter, particularly the downshift. I’m fairly confident that’s not a figment of my imagination. The downshift action also feels “firmer”, while the upshift is light and silky-smooth.

I’ve heard about some concerns about the RD being “under-sprung”, with difficulties dropping into the smallest cog. I tried that shift repeatedly under both easy-load and sprinting conditions, and it dropped into the 12T smoothly each time. The fact that I ran my shift cable in Nokon housing may have helped with that issue also. The shift lever is definitely easier to reach from the drops than the old ones were.

Even after less than 30mi of use and testing, the gruppo is no longer perfectly pristine. On our “city limit sprint” I tried squeezing through a gap on the left edge of the road and got forced off when that door closed. I bailed and communed with nature in the ditch while my bike did a quick endo before joining me in the grass. We were both fortunate – I had some grass stains but did not lose a single drop of blood, and the bike has scuffed bar tape and some marks on one brake lever. Pretty lucky, and I’ll take all the luck I can get.

Overall impression of the group…. I’m pretty happy so far, and the only adjustments remaining are mine – I just need more miles to become accustomed to the new position and feel of the levers. But the group performed as I’d hoped.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Nice write-up. Now please remove the transit tape from your brakeset- it hurts my eyes.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
good early report.
not too much trouble with the install and getting her dialed in, eh? and maybe the cable was too short because you have a frame i could walk through!

i have read other people are having to adapt to the new pivot points on the lever. i guess it is just re-learning old motor movements.

just outta curiosity, why no nokons on the brakes? you give the brakes high marks. would they see any significant improvements with nokon?

sorry to hear about the crash. but at least you got the first few scratches outts the way early, right?

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Nice!

I bet if you get write "SRAM" or "Red" on some masking tape with a marker and stick it on there that Uzzie will rush out and buy it! :D

·
Good for you!
419 Posts
Thanks for the report. Glad you weren't injured in obtaining that information! :p

I now MUST have Nokon cables.

(You must be very tall)

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Coolhand said:
Nice write-up. Now please remove the transit tape from your brakeset- it hurts my eyes.
You don't miss a thing, do you?! Good catch.... I was still tweaking stuff when the guys showed up at my house for the ride, and later I was in a rush to take pics before the sun went down -- and just plain forgot about it. But I can always rely on the Lounge to remind me when my head's up my a**!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
JustTooBig said:
...NOTE: Recall that this new 7900 group replaced a DA 7700 that was new in 2000. ....
Of course you like it, the stuff is new, different and expensive.

Get back to us when you get the cost of that stuff down to "A-Buck-A-Mile".

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Thanks for the report.

Gotta admit that I'm kinda cool to the silver/grey bicolor graphic scheme. It'll probably grow on me.

Also not crazy about the talk of cover plates and tiny screws on the levers for cable installation. Perhaps they'll fix that on Ultegra.

Otherwise, sounds like a nice rig.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Nice report. Please continue to buy 7900 so the price of 7800 will become more affordable and I can buy a grouppo cheap. By the way, your seats not level and too high.

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
weltyed said:
i have read other people are having to adapt to the new pivot points on the lever. i guess it is just re-learning old motor movements.

just outta curiosity, why no nokons on the brakes? you give the brakes high marks. would they see any significant improvements with nokon?
My feeling on Nokon and similar housing is that I'll use it IF there's sufficient benefit to be realized. I felt like using Nokon on the shift cables would likely offset any additional friction the cables might be subjected to by running under the tape (with an extra bend). Since I never had this particular group set up with standard shift housing, I can't actually quantify the improvement. I can just say that the shifting was quick and smooth.

I first ran the brakes in the factory housing, and tried them out. I could not detect any friction to speak of, so I figured I'd save myself the trouble of installing the Nokons. I really doubt that I would have realized any significant performance improvement that would justify the Nokon. The one factor that sealed the deal is that my brake cables run inside the bars, while the shift cables follow the outer radius just under the bar tape. Frankly, I was concerned about the possibility of matallic housing making contact inside the bars and making noise that I would be unable to stop.

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
tconrady said:
Nice!

I bet if you get write "SRAM" or "Red" on some masking tape with a marker and stick it on there that Uzzie will rush out and buy it! :D
Moreon! ;)

I actually like the 7800 group with the cables showing coz that gives me something to hold (albeit lightly) when I rest my forearms on the top of the handlebars.

//by the way, my tektro brakes on my tt bike stops very well too after I got new zipp brake pads. Maybe it's more of the pads than the levers itself for the 7900 too?

///cool report. The hoods look like they've been mashed around though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts