Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the low down on this? Some seem to cherish their loud fishing reel sounding rear hubs when coasting...some seem to even brag like the louder the better? Is there any advantage to louder rear hubs?

· Registered
798 Posts
No, that's just the pawls that make that sound. Unless you are bothered by it, louder or quieter hubs are neither better or worse. If you want to have a near silent hub,check out Ligero Wheelworks....Troy can hook you up with a set that is damn near silent.

· Registered
21,868 Posts
Noise factor

Joemero said:
So what's the low down on this? Some seem to cherish their loud fishing reel sounding rear hubs when coasting...some seem to even brag like the louder the better? Is there any advantage to louder rear hubs?
Almost any freehub can be significantly quieted, and most can be made nearly silent, simply by using a higher viscosity lube. For some people, those loud freehubs are the equivalent of the "Hey! Look at me!" muffler option preferred by a lot of Harley folks and urban "pimp my ride" types. :)

· Registered
1,668 Posts
Joemero said:
Loud hubs are saying "Dude! Pedal! Pedal! Faster! Faster! Faster! "

Without a loud hub to motivate you, you will generate into a worthless and weak girlie man with legs like match sticks

Grr.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,565 Posts
"Low Effort Indicator"

· Registered
31 Posts
asad137 said:
I've found they're useful for letting people know you're behind them.
I was riding on a local MUT today and was given "audible warning before passing" by a cyclist who just coasted for a bit before he passed me. While this wouldn't work with people wearing the ear buds, I thought it was pretty cool.
I'm starting to embrace the sound.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,565 Posts
1natsfan said:
I was riding on a local MUT today and was given "audible warning before passing" by a cyclist who just coasted for a bit before he passed me. While this wouldn't work with people wearing the ear buds, I thought it was pretty cool.
I'm starting to embrace the sound.
You'd be surprised. About the only thing that wakes Squirrels on the MUT from their earbud-induced-tabula-rasa-state is a Campy freehub.

· Registered
984 Posts
The DT hubs use a "star ratchet" mechanism that will get loud when it needs to be lubed. Using too thick a lube on a DT hub will not allow the star ratchet to engage and too thin will be loud. Some people use Phil oil. I prefer SuperLube gel.
The Alchemy ORC seems as quiet as a DA to me.

· Registered
5,084 Posts
I have been riding a Chris King mtb hub for 3 yrs. It has that "angry bees" sound. When I ride on the road bike, I don't hear it and it seems odd to me.

There's no functional difference with a loud vs quiet hub. It's just the ratcheting of the free hub. Some louder hubs have more engagement points. However, that's not nearly as relevant on the road than mtb.

· turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
yes, I don't hear my road bike's hub either.. being used to the sound of the Hadley on my mtb might just have something to do with it.. given your comment :thumbsup:

· Registered
6,331 Posts
fishing reel sound

Joemero said:
If its a Shimano hub, maybe its the wrong part. There may be soneone spincasting a DA hub as we speak

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.