Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this is a highly "intimate" and personal thing, but I still wish to get some feedback regarding the Louis Garneau Equipe and Pearl Izumi Elite bib shorts. I will likely just have to try both, to ultimately judge.

Any input, feedback, ideas or suggestions?

How is the sizing between those two lines?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I realize this is a highly "intimate" and personal thing, but I still wish to get some feedback regarding the Louis Garneau Equipe and Pearl Izumi Elite bib shorts. I will likely just have to try both, to ultimately judge.

Thanks.
Louis Garneau FTW, fits perfectly, I just love it!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think the Garneau run a little small, but the Airgel chamois is awesome. I have 5-6 pairs, since they keep popping up on Chainlove.com for a great price. The Carbon Lazers are great too. My Pearls are shorts, not bibs, but the chamois is nowhere as good, for me at least.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
The LG Equipe has a "racer" fit, so it fits tighter than the PI Elite bib.

The Equipe has a thicker chamois than the Elite, and this may or may not be a good thing. For example, if the bib is already tight fitting on you, then a thicke chamois will bunch down there and you'll hate it. However, if the bib is a bit looser fitting, then a thick chamois will be just right. But overall, the Equipe will fit tighter (like half a size tighter) than the Elite. The Equipe also has a tighter compression fabric, which is of course why it feels tighter. Quality wise, I think the Equipe feels more substantial.

I'm 5'7", 130 lbs, and Equipe in size small gives me a snug racing fit. Elite gives me a looser and relax fit.

·
Life Coach
300 Posts
I really like the Elites. I had 2 pair and just picked up another pair on The Clymb.com

Very comfortable...I'm 6'4" and I've had trouble with bibs cutting into my shoulders. These are perfect! I have a 36" waist and wear XL's

·
Banned
12,550 Posts
Oh, and they are a tad longer than my Hincappie, Nalini, and Voler bibs.
Some good info here. Personally looking for an extra pair of bibs or shorts as I am riding in the am now that the sun is up early and I can. Been thinking about LG stuff I see online. Looking for a dense not thick chamois.

How do the LG's compare in that respect to your Voler, Nalini and Hincapi? My personal favorites are Descente but they are discontinued so would not mind finding a new brand that I like.

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts

Thanks.
The Equipe have an 11 1/4 inch inseam verses the Elite having a traditional 9 inch inseam. Personally I like the Equipe hands down. There's a 20% off sale over on Performance Bicycle only for today. Both are 8 panel construction. However, my favourite bibs are the NEO POWER by Garneau. These are a 12 panel construction giving a much better contour and fit then most 8 panel designs. These are very comfortable for long rides with a seamless inner leg. As for the chamois designs between the Equipe and the Elite? I'm not one to comment on which is better than the other, but the Equipe have that longer leg inseam which really keeps the chamois from moving around chaffing yourself.

All my cycling clothing goes through a detergent designed for sportswear called, Penguin Sports Wash. Makes a huge difference in retaining the elasticity of the fabric and maintaining colours. Perhaps the best find I have had in the last 7 years. I never put any of my sportswear through the dryer. Everything is washed on gentle cycle, air dried. That's half the battle to maintaining proper fit - in the restoration of elasticity over time with washings.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The chamois is thicker and more dense than all my other bibs. It is not uncomfortable to me but you can tell there is more bulk compared to the others. It is actually my favorite kit and have 2 now, more will be on the way.

A 10 panel bib might be a better fit but not sure what the price difference is. If you don't get the Equipe small enough it bunches a tad behind my thighs when walking around but do not notice it when in riding position.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've worn the PI Elite bib for several months now. When I'm riding, I simply forget about them. They don't bunch or creep, the shoulder straps don't bite, and I've never had any chafing or irritation on rides up to 60 miles or so. I found PI's sizing chart to be spot-on, and even though these bibs don't have silicone leg grippers, I've never had a problem with them riding up my legs. I haven't owned them long enough to comment on their durability.

FWIW, I've never owned a pair of the Garneaus so I really don't know how they compare.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the PI elites, P.R.O Intercools, Sugoi RS, Castelli Body Paint and Castelli Aero and I find the Castelli the best. The body paint bibs are exceptional. I find the Pearl Izumi bunch up in the crotch and give an very unflattering appearance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another vote for the Garneau Equipes. I have 3 pair, definitely my favorite bibs. They seem to fit a bit smaller than the few pieces of Pearl kit I have. All mine are size Medium, at 5' 8" I was about 154 last summer; this year I'm about 10 lbs lighter and might be closer to a small. It would be close as the Med fits tight around my hips as-is. The LGs are built solid though and the material has a fairly substantial feel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.