Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I've been trying to take pix of this one seems like forever. The point is not so much to make an exact representation but to capture the spirit.

From this morning.....

The Louisiana State Memorial along West Confederate Avenue on Seminary Ridge was dedicated on June 11, 1971. The cost was $100,000, and the sculptor was Donald Delue.

The monument, which was cast of polished green bronze in Italy, features on top, the 10 foot tall figure of the “Spirit of the Confederacy.” She is also known as Saint Barbara, the patron-saint of artillerymen. She is holding a flaming cannon ball in her right hand. St. Barbara lived in Asia Minor around 300 A.D. After she was converted to Christianity, her wealthy father had her condemned to death by beheading.

After returning from the execution, he was said to be struck by a lightning bolt which incinerated his body. Because of his fate, Barbara came to be known as the patron to be called upon to protect one in a storm. With the invention of gunpowder, and frequent accidental explosions because of its use, Saint Barbara also became known as the patron-saint of artillery. Because of her muscular build, she is also known on the Gettysburg battlefield as “Barbara on Steroids.”

At the bottom of the statue is a nine foot long artilleryman representing a member of the Washington Artillery of New Orleans, which fought in this area, and became the basis for the statue located here. He is covered with a Confederate Flag, which the dying man is holding close to his heart.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Right next to the Louisiana Memorial is the Mississippi Memorial.

This monument was erected to illustrate “the bravery, devotion, and sacrifice of the Mississippi soldier in the face of great odds.”

The monument depicts a color bearer falling, mortally wounded. Another Mississippian has stopped beside him and is using his musket as a club in an effort to defend the flag.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I am partial to the Maryland State monument, not only because it represents my state, but because of its theme of reconciliation. You have some pictures of it in this report. http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=120425&highlight=gettysburg+maryland+monument But, the Lost Cause does have the most dramatic monuments at Gettysburg. Your pictures definitely capture the spirit of the monuments. It has been a few years since I rode through Gettysburg. I need to make another trip back there.

·
Non non normal
10,094 Posts
Yeah, maybe a fixed gear ride in the fall. Hint hint

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MarkS said:
I am partial to the Maryland State monument,....
It is a great monument all right, one of the newest too.

Alas, it is in a very poor location for photography and since they moved to the very nice new park headquarters it is rarely visited any more. :(

·
gazing from the shadows
27,225 Posts
I think the last one is the most successful in terms of your goal, and the draped arm is what does that for me.

In general though, I find going the silhouette route hard to get to the level of "wow". Easy to get to "good", hard to get further. At least in terms of the reaction they get from me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts