Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Lemond Rider
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be vacationing with the family (wife, 2 kids, ages 6 and 9), passing thru Louisville next week. We would like to ride the Louisville Loop, and I was hoping for a little guidance from any locals. The kids will be on trailer bikes, attached to us. We average about 10 - 12 mph.

• Where is the "best" place to park (a Google Maps link would be very helpful)?
  • What is the "best" section to ride, assuming we are looking for about 20 miles total (10 each way), paved multi-use (vs. street)?
  • Is there a good website that shows the trail?

Thanks in advance for any help.

· Registered
183 Posts
You should subscribe to the Louisville Bicycle Club email list and ask this question there. You'll get very fast and informed responses. Go to http://www.louisvillebicycleclub.com. The weather looks great next week, btw.

I must admit that I've lived in Louisville almost all of my life and I'm not really sure what loop you're talking about. Are you talking about the path that follows the river (aka the Riverwalk)? They recently expanded it, so maybe it has a new nickname. Where did you hear about it?

You might check this cue sheet site also. http://www.kybikerides.org/

· Registered
183 Posts
I just found the website for the Louisville Loop. Apparently, it's only 25% complete. It starts at The RiverWalk and continues a couple of parks. The RiverWalk can be tricky this time of year depending on the mud situation. If it's not too muddy, you can start on River Road and park at the Waterfront Park Yellow Lot. There's a good 8-9 mile stretch that starts there. Bike path maps can be found here. Hope this helps.

· I don't exist
2,036 Posts
Where will you be staying?

That may determine where you might ride. The river walk, right now towards shawnee park is clean. The route from down town to Shawnee is a bit brief IMO. Look up routes & rides on mapmyride.
You can connect the Cherokee & Seneca parks (actually are connected) in a ride from one of the DT hotels & take in a bit of the Waterfront park. See google maps & note how close things are together here. Do try to roll down 3rd st south of St Catherine to see the historic homes.

· Registered
183 Posts
Cherokee and Seneca Park are way more scenic than the RiverWalk. Cherokee Park has a loop with one entire full-sized lane reserved for non-motorized traffic, so it's pretty safe. Waterfront Park is a great place to chill and look at the river. The Belle of Louisville docks a couple of blocks from there (that might be cool to show the kids if they've never seen a steamboat before).

Be careful in bike lanes downtown... a lot of the locals haven't figured out what they are yet.

· Lemond Rider
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Here is the link I found to the Louisville Loop:

http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroParks/cityofparks/metro_loop_trail.htm

I think the idea is similar to my hometown (St. Louis) attempt to link a series of bike paths and short street sections to create a loop around St. Louis in both Missouri and Illinois. A great idea, but the "connectors" are in planning, and a "single integrated" website doesn't really exist.

Where is the Waterfront Park Yellow Lot? I was thinking of starting there and riding west.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.