Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday, the Lounge and Team Collin was represented on RAMROD (Ride Around Mt. Rainier One Day). There is a lottery in April to select 800 riders for the annual ride. This was my 4th RAMROD in the last 6 years. Total distance 154 miles 10,000 feet of climbing.

The start of the ride was in fog and was misty. We climbed out of the fog around 60 miles -- just about at the park entrance. The rest of the ride was is clear/sunny weather with temperatures in the high 70's. There was still snow along the road in some of the more shaded areas. Much better than last year when the temperature at the finish was 103.

This is my favorite ride in Washington and feel fortunate that the Park Service allows the ride.

Jerry

·
Behind on post count
305 Posts
Nice, I've been trying to get on that ride around 4 years now and have never been closer than #250 on the wait list. I bit the bullet this year and volunteered helping clean up the day after guarantee a spot next year. Actually turned out to be a pretty good deal.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Snap likes this a lot! :thumbsup:

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
Did you get any flats?

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Sweet!

RAMROD sounds like a fun ride, but, I've never bothered to try with the lottery -- that is a silly small number of permitted participants for such an epic ride. I have done all of the individual sections of the course, but, never strung together in a single day.

The problem with trying to organize a group of people on a course with 3 passes like that, I suppose, is that people are strung out all over the place; there wouldn't be much point in doing it with friends, unless you found some who were quite close to your ability.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Sweet. Good seeing you on the way down. I saw that Lounge jersey a mile away. We (the rando gang) did Black Diamond-Sunrise-Black Diamond instead. It was hard to convince the cop at the turn to Mud Mountain Dam that we really wanted to go straight.

Oh, and I was cramped up for 60 miles, so not the best day on the bike but the mountain was out big time.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
Argentius said:
RAMROD sounds like a fun ride, but, I've never bothered to try with the lottery -- that is a silly small number of permitted participants for such an epic ride. I have done all of the individual sections of the course, but, never strung together in a single day.

The problem with trying to organize a group of people on a course with 3 passes like that, I suppose, is that people are strung out all over the place; there wouldn't be much point in doing it with friends, unless you found some who were quite close to your ability.
Actually, we've done this with our group and a sag wagon in about 2005 a week after the official ride (it worked great). Get some parents to drive the wagon--they'll enjoy the views and the experience.

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
Awesome Gizmo! I'm green with envy! Looks like a heck of a ride. Mrs tcon and I want to get back out that way in the next year or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts