Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Love classic bikes....

5K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  buck-50 
#1 ·
I owned a bike shop in Tampa bay in the mid 70's and raced the open's on a Follis and a colnago and my fave was a Derosa. I stopped rideing in the late 70's, and just returned last year. I picked up a very sweet 87 Fuji Tivoli from Ebay, and love it to death. I also bought a Scott CR1 pro, and hated it. Traded it for a Felt F4C, and I really love the ride on the felt & the speed, but there is just a special feeling riding the old steel.
My heart stops when I see the old lug work, and the drilled Campy stuff. Is there still alot of riders out there like me?...As much as I love to ride the Felt, and will keep it for sure, I might start collecting the old vintage steel. Look out Ebay...

#2 ·
I hear ya. I took a long break, and when I started up again I got a carbon Trek. A couple of years later and I decided it's going on e-bay. Nothing but love for the old steel stuff. The latest carbon stuff is great. It's just not for me, and I'm not any faster on a fast bike.

G
#3 ·
jplatzner said:
I hear ya. I took a long break, and when I started up again I got a carbon Trek. A couple of years later and I decided it's going on e-bay. Nothing but love for the old steel stuff. The latest carbon stuff is great. It's just not for me, and I'm not any faster on a fast bike.
Funny thing is, I'm faster on an older steel bike.

My De Rosa or Derek Bailey. Both steel, both either 6 or 7 speed , I consistently average higher speeds on them than on the "fast" bike ( which is also steel).

I think it is because;

1 less friction in the loose ball bearings

2 I shift less, I just ride the bike and push up the hill or whatever, instead of always shifting.

Give me lugged steel and Super Record any day.

#4 ·
Oh (sniff)...they really get to me..........

Man I love those lugged steel beauties. I remember watching some old film clips of Greg LeMond in the late 80's. Most of those bikes were lugged steel then, and it was amazing how utterly beautiful all those pro bikes were, as compared to todays pro bikes. Big difference!!

makes me love my 'tommasini' all the more. :D

#6 ·
I loves the steels

I have more bikes than I really need (5). All but one are steel (I also have 4 steel frames waiting to be built). I have one modern bike (Schwinn Fastback) with STI that I use to race. As much as I think STI is a modern marvel, I think it looks out of place on a traditional diamond steel frame; I still use DT shifters on my steel steeds.

My current fave is a Schwinn Wheaties Paramount with complete retro geared Dura-Ace components that I purchased NOS last year.

I am currently collecting parts (Campy C-Record/Record) for my all time dream bike: a red & white Bottechia (with chrome lugs).

Steel is magic.

#8 ·
I am a newbie to riding with no real cycling history, but also love those lugged beauties. My dream ride is a Waterford RS-22 with those fat nasty chromed lugs. I am having a hard time deciding what paint job I would like, but I think Green would be the base color.

I think it is the best of both worlds. An aggressive lightweight steel frame with a classic and very beautiful look.

#10 · (Edited)
My Fuji Tivoli

james newman said:
I owned a bike shop in Tampa bay in the mid 70's and raced the open's on a Follis and a colnago and my fave was a Derosa. I stopped rideing in the late 70's, and just returned last year. I picked up a very sweet 87 Fuji Tivoli from Ebay, and love it to death. I also bought a Scott CR1 pro, and hated it. Traded it for a Felt F4C, and I really love the ride on the felt & the speed, but there is just a special feeling riding the old steel.
My heart stops when I see the old lug work, and the drilled Campy stuff. Is there still alot of riders out there like me?...As much as I love to ride the Felt, and will keep it for sure, I might start collecting the old vintage steel. Look out Ebay...
After years away from cycling I've purchased a Fuji Tivoli which is being shipped to me.
If you'd be so kind please enlighten me as to what to expect. I believe its a 99 production year based on the 99 USA Ski Team logo on the seat tube but I know nothing, NOTHING of the bike or what its equiped with, whether it's considered a road touring bike or a race bike. Does it have an SIS system or what? Was it/is it considered a good cr-mo bike? Virtually anything you can offer will be more then I know right now.

If you can offer any insight I would be very grateful. Thanks,

Ken

#13 ·
Have been slowly but surely been getting my Specialized carbon epic from the late 1980's up to spec. I am still looking for an original 1" aluminum fork on the item. But the ride is so relaxed and comfortable, it is a great bike for a a 50 mile sunday afternoon ride.

Still on the lookout for a trek 660 in white with true temper tubing.

That i will build up in 7speed 600 ultegra.

Bill

#16 ·
toomanybikes said:
Funny thing is, I'm faster on an older steel bike.

My De Rosa or Derek Bailey. Both steel, both either 6 or 7 speed , I consistently average higher speeds on them than on the "fast" bike ( which is also steel).

I think it is because;

1 less friction in the loose ball bearings

2 I shift less, I just ride the bike and push up the hill or whatever, instead of always shifting.

Give me lugged steel and Super Record any day.
Yes!

What ya Need!

#20 ·
Mah baby... saddle has changed to a perfed white san marco, and the tape has changed to perfed white as well, and the clipless pedals have been replaced with clips ( I was young and impressionable when I built it...)

#22 ·
CurbDestroyer said:
What Cinelli bars are those? or what's the drop?
They're actually Nitto... I haven't measured the drop.

I found them at Yellow Jersey years ago- I was looking for a classic 70's style criterium bar- deep drop, sloping shoulders, almost like a track bar, but not a track bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.