Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first 40 mile ride this past weekend. It was great except I rode over some bad roads and now my rear wheel is out of True. So bad that the brake pad stops it from turning. What can I expect to pay to get this fixed. Also does it happen often?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,352 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Did my first 40 mile ride this past weekend. It was great except I rode over some bad roads and now my rear wheel is out of True. So bad that the brake pad stops it from turning. What can I expect to pay to get this fixed. Also does it happen often?
There is a wobble in the wheel? Or is the wheel/brake caliper not lining up right?

What kind of hub/rim/spokes and lacing?

How large a person are you?

A well-built wheel SHOULD NOT lose true just riding around---doesn't matter how rough the road is. EVAR. A poorly built wheel just needs rebuilt--because otherwise it will just happen again and again-until you threadlock the spoke nipples.

New bike from a shop? Take it back to the shop where you got it-and ask for service....they should fix you up for free, *should*. A paid true juing will run you ~$30-40 American per wheel, in my parts.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,352 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
I thought out or true is common. I'm 190 and yes new bike. Stock Trek 1600...
It is only common on wheels that either have poor QC parts....or that were poorly built.....or where the rider is too heavy for how the hoops are built (# and type of spokes, and lacing).

I don't have personal experience with Bonty paired spoke wheels-so take my opine on this count with a bit of salt--but I'll stick my neck out saying you might be pushing your luck at 190lbs riding 20-24 spoke wheels.

In any case-take the bike in for a round of wrenching, a brand new bike-and an out of true hoop shouldn't happen as a result of JRA.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
I've ridden bontrager wheels when I weighed quite a bit more than 190 on extremely rough surfaces and they never went out of true- yer weight is probably not the problem, especially with the level of wheels that come on a 1600- they're usually bomb-proof...

You should take the bike back to the shop and ask them what's up- unless you were riding rocky singletrack or aiming for the deepest potholes you can find, Your wheel should stay true.

One other question- do you have your brakes set super close to the rims? If you do, you might want to open them up a bit- it's good to have room when something like this happens.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Get a spoke wrench and search Youtube for "bike tuning spoke wheel truing" ... and you can do it yourself. It is a very easy DIY.
If you are not sure about the size of your spokes, there are triangle shaped wrenches that have all the different sizes of spokes.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
If it is new it is common to take your bike back and have everything checked for looseness and proper torqueing and includes touching up wheels that may not have been completely stress relieved at the factory.

It would help to know what model bike, how long you have had it, bought new or used, your weight, etc for a proper evaluation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.