Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. there's really no purpose to this thread except to post some pics and rave about how much I love my fixte.

these pics are pretty craptastic; I shot them with the stylus and did the post in iPhoto, which imo is the gayest photo editing software, ever. on the bright side I just finished loading all my legacy software onto the windows partition of my macbook, so going forward I'll be able to retouch and resize stuff properly in CS.

got a little on-the-go practise skidding / hopping the rear tyre in traffic this AM. nobody died, so it's all good. the drivers around here have been more than usually stupid lately, I think it must be spring fever.

photo #1, my usual afternoon haunt.
photo #2, how much is that fixte in the window?
photo #3, drug of choice.

enjoy.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
A Pista is a fine fixte, and yours has nice clean lines. Mine is the ship-grey variety with an almagam of idoisyncracies, like fenders, mudflaps, bottle cages, etc. A coffee shop window is the perfect frame for anyone's bike. And I see that your barrista has a flair for a nice latte finish...

·
Banned
128 Posts
I noticed the gas meters in the background are not individually regulated. Is that code where you live? :D

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I sold my Pista a few months ago, and every time I see one I sort of wish I had kept it, even though I like my new Surly better. Nice B & W pics, by the way.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks!

PdxMark said:
A Pista is a fine fixte, and yours has nice clean lines. Mine is the ship-grey variety with an almagam of idoisyncracies, like fenders, mudflaps, bottle cages, etc. A coffee shop window is the perfect frame for anyone's bike. And I see that your barrista has a flair for a nice latte finish...
cheers, Mark. mine is allowed to have nice clean lines from the simple fact that it rarely ever rains here. judging from your handle, I'm guessing you're in the Pacific Northwest? if so, then fenders / flaps etc. are de rigeur and should not be looked upon as detrimental. Horses for courses; form follows function. Personally I've always preferred the look of tall (58-62cm) frame proportions and think my 49cm Pista looks sorta mutated with that dropped TT. But I love the chrome, the cool silver bartape only cost me a buck at Veloswap and it's so responsive and quick in traffic.

Since I have a Chrome Metropolis, I haven't had to bother with racks, etc. So far it's been adequate for just about everything short of bringing home an 8' stepladder. I even brought the MacBook home the night I bought it, in all its silly designer packaging. I've personally witnessed one of the Denver-Boulder courier dudes carry a big old-skool IBM desktop CPU plus cables and an external HD crosstown (Denver) in a Metropolis. I have heard (never tried it personally) that a suitcase of beer will fit in the thing. Good stuff.

The baristas at Joe's Espresso kick serious butt, and their wifi connexion rules (wifi gets uber-flakey in crowded hotspots during finals week). Believe it or not, that lovely concoction happens to be a $1.00 house Cap. They do happy hour every weekday between 3-5 PM, and single shots, house lattes and house caps are a buck each. Not only do they pull a good shot, and know how to finish it properly, but the vibe is cool - no irritating shrieky teenagers or obnoxious yuppies. This is probably because they don't bother offering tea, pastries, sandwiches, confections or anything but just java. There's a couple old dudes I see in there playing cards every so often, very Euro. You can't see it but one of the books on the shelf in the window in front of the bike is "Chess For Dummies". Total hipster hideaway.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
???

Anonymous said:
I noticed the gas meters in the background are not individually regulated. Is that code where you live? :D
sorry dude, I've no clue what you're referring to.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KenB said:
Very nice shots! I like the blur in the first one.
I ran the edge blur effect on all 3; I think it's just more noticable in the first due to the level of detail in the photo.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:)

BianchiJoe said:
I sold my Pista a few months ago, and every time I see one I sort of wish I had kept it, even though I like my new Surly better. Nice B & W pics, by the way.
thanks Joe. none of 'em are true monochrome / B&W, incidentally. the first 2 were run thru a series of filters to convert them to a subtle sepia / antiqued feel (I *hate* that disgusting fake-looking bright orange cast most 'sepia' filters produce on cheap software), the third is a full colour shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts