Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,553 Posts
Just the thing to ride around the bike path, at 15 mph.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I like them ... though they stole the basic design from Mad Fiber with the aluminum insert.

If I had money to blow, I might buy a set ... but there are other wheels I'd likely look to first that are lighter, perform as well or better and have a better reputation for quality.

I don't like the fact that they stuck with the narrow rim and still have old rim profiles ... which I'm guessing was to keep the weight down. Going to the wider rim and wider profile would add weight to the design (though make them better wheels overall) and would take them out of contention with other wheels weight wise, which would cause more people to pass on them.

Having ridden wider rims ... all future wheels I buy will have the wide rims. The ride quality is just that much better, as is cornering traction.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
I already was called a bully by Neal Rogers when VN did a "techincal" writeup on these wheels. I called out BS on their tech editor for publishing an article first about how dangerous carbon clinchers are, then a few hours later publishing an article about how amazingly safe these new Mavic wheels are.

Mavic is just trying to exploit the fear factor in carbon clinchers. Yes, there are potential issues with carbon clinchers, I won't deny that. They are perhaps not ideally suited for steep, technical descending. But many people, myself included, have ridden hours and hours on carbon clinchers without issues

My issues with Mavic's new carbon clinchers: They are too lazy to bother going to a wider rim, even though it has been shown to be more aerodynamic, stronger and give a better handling tire. Their rim extrusions are 19mm for everything and they are just trying to milk another wheelset without bucking up and moving to a wider rim design. And, they continue to use their weak-sauce FTS-L freehub design even though the test of time has shown it to be not exactly robust. And, I have to wonder if braking heat could possibly lead to some alloy/carbon bond lamination issues on this wheelset.

At $2750, that is in the price zone of either 404 Firecrests or Enve 3.4/6.7 wheelsets. Enve 3.4 with either DT or King hubs is going to be more aero, lighter, durable and stronger than this Mavic wheelset. Anyone considering this wheelset should look at the Shimano C35 clincher, probably quite close in aerodynamics, better hubs, better build and about $800 cheaper.

·
Registered
902 Posts
It's not a matter of whether I love of loathe these... they are just so simply unremarkable that they aren't even in my sphere of "giving a ****". Mavic missed the market by a few years, several hundred dollars, a couple hundred grams of mass, and a few milimeters of width.

These wheels are irrelevant.

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
For the same money I'd buy Madfiber clinchers and not worry about truing my wheels, but then again I don't think I'd want to spend $2800 on wheels in the first place.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
They might really work and everything, but they cater to zero perofmrance specialties at a ridiculous price.

They're carbon for carbon's sake. I like the look of Mavic wheels and loved the braking of the Aksium, but it's not the most marketable idea. I'd think it just draws in the rich rec rider wants better braking, clincher-ready, fancy carbon wheels. No racer really needs it and has better options

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,659 Posts
For the same money I'd buy Madfiber clinchers and not worry about truing my wheels, but then again I don't think I'd want to spend $2800 on wheels in the first place.
are you not worried because there isn't a way to true them or do you mistakenly think they can't go out of true?

and it's probably just me, but why can't people post wheel questions in the wheels and tires section?

·
Registered
902 Posts
are you not worried because there isn't a way to true them or do you mistakenly think they can't go out of true?

and it's probably just me, but why can't people post wheel questions in the wheels and tires section?
I would think - and this is just me - that if I were a company selling top-shelf items that the demo wheels I send out to shops would NOT be QC rejects because I would want potential customers to see the very best I can offer.

Instead, fully half of the multiple sets of Madfiber demos (both clincher and tubular) I've seen have a significant wobble. They are NOT in line with current aerodynamic trends, they are narrow, and the clinchers have a carbon braking surface (over aluminum core, like the Mavics). So the Madfibers aren't on my future-purchase radar either.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
This, 100%.

I own 404 FC CCs, and my TT rig runs an 808 Tubular / Disc Tubular. The wider shape works wonders and I have little problem running my deeper wheels in windy conditions when others are reaching for shallow depths.

I already was called a bully by Neal Rogers when VN did a "techincal" writeup on these wheels. I called out BS on their tech editor for publishing an article first about how dangerous carbon clinchers are, then a few hours later publishing an article about how amazingly safe these new Mavic wheels are.

Mavic is just trying to exploit the fear factor in carbon clinchers. Yes, there are potential issues with carbon clinchers, I won't deny that. They are perhaps not ideally suited for steep, technical descending. But many people, myself included, have ridden hours and hours on carbon clinchers without issues

My issues with Mavic's new carbon clinchers: They are too lazy to bother going to a wider rim, even though it has been shown to be more aerodynamic, stronger and give a better handling tire. Their rim extrusions are 19mm for everything and they are just trying to milk another wheelset without bucking up and moving to a wider rim design. And, they continue to use their weak-sauce FTS-L freehub design even though the test of time has shown it to be not exactly robust. And, I have to wonder if braking heat could possibly lead to some alloy/carbon bond lamination issues on this wheelset.

At $2750, that is in the price zone of either 404 Firecrests or Enve 3.4/6.7 wheelsets. Enve 3.4 with either DT or King hubs is going to be more aero, lighter, durable and stronger than this Mavic wheelset. Anyone considering this wheelset should look at the Shimano C35 clincher, probably quite close in aerodynamics, better hubs, better build and about $800 cheaper.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well I think everyone is being a bit hard on Mavic. the only real benefit 90% of people who buy high end wheels will get is that they look cool, and these look pretty damn cool. So mission accomplished.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
The R-SYS fiasco really got rolling when that VN writer had his wheels fail and wrote about it. It got pretty nasty/entertaining, with Mavic coming up with various feeble excuses for the failure.

Maybe this latest carbon clincher infomercial is an attempt by VN to kiss and make up.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Better question is why does Jason insist on cross posting everything everywhere. He writes like he works for RBR, then posts it all over the place. Did he really link a front page article to a forum because it didn't get enough attention? Stand by. Next week it will be in the wheel forum too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.