Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yes, so? Nothing new, no one gives a rat's ass about cyclists, especially a gaggle of em running around town w/o lights at 2AM.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wipeout said:
Yes, so? Nothing new, no one gives a rat's ass about cyclists, especially a gaggle of em running around town w/o lights at 2AM.

Where did you read that they were without lights?

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
wipeout said:
Where does it say they had no lights? If there were a gaggle of them would it be that hard to see them even if they didn't have lights? This looks totally intentional to me. Why the driver doesn't get charged with attempted murder boggles me. The rider could of easily been dragged with the bike for that block.

I think stories like this should be posted as much as possible. Cyclists need to know how dangerous it is out there and what the possibilities are.

I've yet to be threatened with "60 crips deep" - that would just totally suck.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
wipeout said:
I looked at the pics. Besides, I'm doin' the tongue-in-cheek thing.

he was honking at them before he hit anybody. it's not like the driver didn't know they were there. and the pic of the bike under the car doesn't show if there were lights on the bike or not. plus, the lights don't have to be on the bike, but can be on the rider. either way, he was honking at them prior. there is NO excuse for running somebody down.

·
Registered
277 Posts
A classic case of Cops in LA not wanting to deal with the gangs. Such crap, I would carry a gun if it didn't weigh so much can I get a Carbon 9?

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Seriously ****ed up ****. **** the police. **** hummers and the mother****ers who drive them. **** this ****ed up city.

I commuted 12 miles today and was harassed the entire ****ing way.

·
Festina Lente'
11,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DrRoebuck said:
Seriously ****ed up ****. **** the police. **** hummers and the mother****ers who drive them. **** this ****ed up city.

I commuted 12 miles today and was harassed the entire ****ing way.
Seriously... How do we work to fix this??? I dont know what to do to educate people like this.. is there anything?

·
.·*°¤`*·.·*´¤°*·.·*°¤`*·.
2,042 Posts
BentChainring said:
Seriously... How do we work to fix this??? I dont know what to do to educate people like this.. is there anything?
Think global act local. You may not be able to change the diquehedz out there now but you could go to schools and teach the youngins. Or maybe try and get some funding for a commercial. Write your congress people. Make flyers. Make a bumper sticker. Start a group effort of some kind like the Guardian Angels. It'd be nice if some sort of "moment" could be taken at the crits to educate the crowds. It just doesn't seem the tolerance for cyclists is being met with the increase in cycling. We should be celebrated not ran over. We can try and have tighter laws put in place but what good is that if the cops aren't going to enforcem?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
BentChainring said:
yeah, you gotta move.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
180 said:
Write your congress people. .... We should be celebrated not ran over. We can try and have tighter laws put in place but what good is that if the cops aren't going to enforcem?
The state of CA voted against a 3-foot cushion law because of pressure from the truckers union.

Right. The TRUCKERS demanded that they be able to drive their TRUCKS within 3 feet of cyclists, and the lawmakers complied.

I found this out at some bullshit bike planning meeting. That was the point where I knew it was hopeless.

PS
I'm extra bitter today because I just got bad from a particularly bad day of commuting. *sigh*

·
a jumped up pantry boy
1,784 Posts
BentChainring said:
Is that the only way?
when presented with a tough situation i always ask myself-- what would clint eastwood do?

i now ride around with a .44 magnum strapped to my fork. officer cho may have a lightsaber, but hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good magnum.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Well, as many of you have already seen from my “Swiss army bike”, I pack heat of sorts when I ride. No questions asked, just some punk ass on the ground, and it ain’t me… oh, and the “heat” varies from time to time, not always “non-lethal” in nature. I don’t know why people feel compelled to f**k with cyclists—really now, they wouldn’t pull this sort of shªt with motorcyclists, I don’t see what the difference is other than 1/3 horsepower versus 40+ horsepower.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
BentChainring said:
Is that the only way?
Yes.

I rode 15 miles yesterday and saw few cars. All waited to pass until the oncoming lane was clear. No honking. A few weeks ago I stopped to take a break, and each of the next three cars which came by stopped to see if I was ok. Does anything like this happen to you?

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Yes.

I rode 15 miles yesterday and saw few cars. All waited to pass until the oncoming lane was clear. No honking. A few weeks ago I stopped to take a break, and each of the next three cars which came by stopped to see if I was ok. Does anything like this happen to you?
I miss those rides. It's a big city mentality and I can't wait to get out of Omaha because of it. I can only imagine how horrible LA is.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.