Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no experience with campy, but i've offered to figure out how to get a 1:1 low gear on a campagnolo mirage 8sp drivetrain. The front is a triple and although i know i can add a 26t 74mm front ring... i anticipate chain drops, mediocre shifting, and an inconveniently large jump to the middle ring. I'm inclined to just drop it to 28t.

So i'm looking at the cassette. Can i buy a 9sp 28t campy cassette and stack the cogs as i please, using the 8sp spacers?

I'd appreciate any insight you might have regarding older campagnolo.

Here's a picture of the lever reach adjustment screw i added.
Tool Cable Wire Carbon Machine

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I'm not sure the spacing will work as you propose (not sure about cog thickness), and the freehub spline pattern might have changed ingoing from 8 to 9. Not sure about that, either.

Have you tried to find an 8-speed cassette with a 28? Miche may make one.

Personally, I'd try the small ring first. Shifting might be a little funky, but I doubt that the 26 would be much worse than 28.

As an old-timer, I am amused to hear early 90s Campy equipment described as "vintage." From your heading I figured we were going to be talking about 5-speed freewheels and friction shifters. ;-)

Good luck to you and your short-fingered friend. That adjustment screw looks like a pretty clever kludge.

Reactions: bubble

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
If you want to use 9 speed cogs on an 8 speed body, you'll have to file the cogs so all the splines are the same width. 8 speed cogs were all loose, and were marked as to the order to install them on the body.......I can't remember if 9 speed cassettes were loose, or on carriers....(and if they were the same thickness as 8 speed)......There are a few campy experts here.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
9 spd cogs are 0.15 mm thinner than 8-spd.

so if your system was set up to shift perfectly in the middle of the cassette, by the end you would be 4 x 0.15 = 0.6 mm adrift.

whether this would be noticeable, I don't really know.

there used to be adapter spacers from Wheels Man. but not listed any more.

There is also Miche who made a 8-spd 28 T cassette.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome, thanks everyone! You've all been super helpful and i appreciate it.

I'll add some info since i've been reading about this.

8sp splines are shallower than 9sp splines, so 8sp cogs won't mount on a 9sp freehub. The reverse should be fine. Miche sells individual cogs that are supposedly only for their cassettes, but i dunno if i buy that. Bikewagon sells them. Miche also makes an 8sp 13-28 cassette, but i can only find them at bike24, a german outfit.

I found a 9sp 13-28 centaur cassette in my box of crap from my shop wrench days. No idea why i saved it, but it's loose cogs and in good shape. I'm gonna swap the top 2 cogs on to the mirage stack and c'est la vie if there's a gap in the spacing. I'll hold the spacers up to a belt sander for a moment if i have to, but i really doubt it will matter.

I read that for a 8sp FD to clear a 26t the derailleur has do be modified with a dremel. Combined with my own experience running a 28 (on a 5500 crank), where every 100 miles or so the chain would get jammed between the chainrings and i'd 50% of the time shear it... i'm reluctant to go there. I haven't read any complaints about running a 28.

As an old-timer, I am amused to hear early 90s Campy equipment described as "vintage." From your heading I figured we were going to be talking about 5-speed freewheels and friction shifters. ;-)
hahaha this drivetrain is old enough to rent a car....

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Don't see how you can use 9sp loose cogs on an 8sp freehub. I do know you could space the 9sp loose cogs as 8sp but on a 9sp freehub. For that you still may be able to find the Wheels MFG conversion kit on the auction site.

·
24,426 Posts
I still have the red spacers that you use with a Shimano cassette on a Shimano wheel, to make it compatible with campy 8 speed ergo.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still have the red spacers that you use with a Shimano cassette on a Shimano wheel, to make it compatible with campy 8 speed ergo.
I don't understand what you're referring to... shift cable spacer to change the cable pull ratio?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
hahaha this drivetrain is old enough to rent a car....
Barely old enough to rent a car is still a kid on my scale. Not hardly "vintage" in my mind ;-)

The red spacers Mr. Grumpy mentioned were spacers between the cogs.

·
24,426 Posts
Shimano 8 speed cassettes were loose cogs. If you replace the Shimano cog spacers with these special red spacers (from wheel's MFG), the Shimano wheel w/ shimano cassette will shift fine with Campy 8 speed shifters.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
8sp splines are shallower than 9sp splines, so 8sp cogs won't mount on a 9sp freehub.
You have the situation backwards.

A new cog is looking for deeper splines than 8-speed had, and so it won't go on.

An 8-speed cog will go on a modern freehub, but it's not a good idea as the engagement is half of what it should be.

Now think if the situation was reversed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts