Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what’s going on here. I have a Polar computer with heart rate and cadence. I don’t like the unit at all - but that’s another matter. The HR monitor had seemed to work well. On Monday, I was recording my expected numbers. The very next day, I could not get over 65 bpm - which of course is ridiculous. I played around with different strap positions and new battery. Same thing. Showing a rest rate of 39.

Should I assume a faulty unit or see my doctor? I can’t imagine what would happen overnight to lower my HR - in reality - my large amounts. Other than the battery, what could be wrong with the unit. I don’t like it because it is too complicated, and can never get all my ride data out of it. Laps, files, totals, etc.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If you had a rest rate of 39, that would actually be a good thing. I think it is a faulty unit. Try taking your strap to a rec center with one of those bikes with the monitor, etc. They usually read polar straps.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Last Jan. I rode quite hard for 10 mi. and was amazed at how low my H.R. was. It never got over 8. That's right, 8. Seems my HRM doesn't like cold weather. :)

Yours sounds defective. If the suggestions don't work immediately, I suggest you send it back.

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
jmlapoint said:
I am not sure why folks other than racers really need a HRM.
Just because someone doesn't race doesn't mean that they don't want to train to ride better.

I'd not trust the Polar. I bought a high-end Polar HRM in 2002 or 2003 and used it for about 6 years and it worked well. It died finally and I bought a new Polar and it's never worked well. The new strap is less reliable than the older style, and the HRM overall has never operated correctly for me. I'll not buy another.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had the same kinds of problems from a cheap HRM I bought from Performance (Axiom??). I returned it for a refund.

Later I bought a Timex (new in open box on ebay...~$45) and it works great.

Return the Polar and get another.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Should I assume a faulty unit or see my doctor? I can’t imagine what would happen overnight to lower my HR - in reality - by large amounts
Are you serious in asking this question? Did you not take your pulse the old-fashioned way to see if that rate was accurate, or are you joking?

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
That's weird. I had an older Polar S150 and if a dog barked the thing would get interfered with and set off and otherwise not operate correctly.

The new one that my wife and I got for use at the health club is digitally coded so the strap
and monitor are locked together and I never get those spurious "224 bpm" readings like
when I go past an electronic dog fence.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
jmlapoint said:
I am not sure why folks other than racers really need a HRM.
Just finished the Tour de Cure in NC this weekend; it was blazing hot, in the 90's with high humidity. Lot's of folks were getting heat exhaustion, it was a two day ride and many folks did not ride the 2nd day. Well I decided that I was going to stop at every reststop and hydrate and not leave until my HR was below 130. I really felt no pain using that strategy; the first day at the last rest stop after a big hill, my HR was 168...which is my max; I felt bad, but hydrated and rested and made it in the rest of the way. Others were cramping, feeling queezy etc. I am sold on using a HRM, it is a great indicator of how you are doing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.