Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a new 16gram CO2 inflator (Performance Hurricane) thinking it would provide more pressure than my old 12g Ultraflate. I've used it a couple of times and in each case a 16g cartidge only inflated to ~70psi for a standard 700-23c tire. That is even less than when I used 12g cartridges. It seems that after I inflate there is still a fair amount of CO2 in it once the tire and cartridge reach equilibrium. Is this an issue with the cartridge, my inflator or something else? I was hoping to get at least 100psi (the intrsuctins say 130). What gives?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
DaveG said:
I picked up a new 16gram CO2 inflator (Performance Hurricane) thinking it would provide more pressure than my old 12g Ultraflate. I've used it a couple of times and in each case a 16g cartidge only inflated to ~70psi for a standard 700-23c tire. That is even less than when I used 12g cartridges. It seems that after I inflate there is still a fair amount of CO2 in it once the tire and cartridge reach equilibrium. Is this an issue with the cartridge, my inflator or something else? I was hoping to get at least 100psi (the intrsuctins say 130). What gives?
Do you hold the cartridge so that the exit is at the top? - TF

·
Registered
376 Posts
I use an Ultraflate and have no problems

I am stretching my memory here, but the 16g cartridges get me about 120psi. It was also the reason I stopped using the 12g inflator and moved to the 16g.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Make sure when you attach the Co2 cartridge no gas escapes, and be sure to release the gas slowly into your tube. My 16g cartridges usually give me just what they advertise, about 130 lbs. Maybe you got a bad batch. Try another cartridge and see how that works. If it's still the same I'd swap out the inflator. Are you sure your tires are 700 x 23c??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.