Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone have lower back numbness while they are riding? It seems when i am riding a for over an hour my lower back seems to go numb. does anyone else have this problem and what is the cause and solution for this. Thanks!

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Or not

iliveonnitro said:
You're stretched out too far. Ever get your bike fitted? Move your seat up and shorten your stem, or even get a small rise to your stem
You don't adjust reach to the handlebars by moving the saddle. Saddle position is about the relationship the the cranks/BB. Once that is established, you adjust stem length/rise to get the right reach. But I agree that the OP is probably stretched out too much and might be better served with a higher and/or shorter stem. Alternatively, maybe the thing to do is get out of the saddle and do some on-bike stretches every 15 minutes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fit

i got my bike fitted for me at the LBS when i got it. I am comfortable on it except on longer rides when my lower back goes numb. Thanks for the advice.

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,006 Posts
Ask a doctor

Describe numbness more? Does it radiate down either leg, or is it localised? Any pain or just numbness?

Kerry has a good point, but sometimes neck/shoulder/hand problems occur as well, a real indication of too long a stem or too wide a bar. If no neck/shoulder/hand issues, again, see a doctor first.

Return to LBS and consult them too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
numbness meaning

When i say numbness i mean that if i touch my lower back I can not feel myself touching it. Its no pain or anything just goes numb. Nothing else hurts or goes numb, just the lower back.

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
See a doctor

trekman10 said:
When i say numbness i mean that if i touch my lower back I can not feel myself touching it. Its no pain or anything just goes numb. Nothing else hurts or goes numb, just the lower back.
You've got a pinched nerve of some sort. Go to the doctor and tell them where it goes numb and why - this is not normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts