Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many people swear by King headsets, but I just have a hard time with the cost when I can find many well reviewed headsets for half the cost. (ya, I'm just cheap!)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good sealed bearing headset more in the $50-60 range rather than $125? I've read good reviews on the FSA Orbit X...any others?

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Johnny LaRoux said:
I know that many people swear by King headsets, but I just have a hard time with the cost when I can find many well reviewed headsets for half the cost. (ya, I'm just cheap!)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good sealed bearing headset more in the $50-60 range rather than $125? I've read good reviews on the FSA Orbit X...any others?

I have Kings on all my bikes. Before that, I used campy, stronglight, shimano, FSA, etc. Headsets in the $50 and up range are going to be fine. My MXL has King because of the stack height. My Pegoretti was used and came with a King. My commuter has a King because the shop had one and I had a 20% discount. Headsets are like cranksets, they all work, you just pay more for less weight and better finish. The new Crank Bros headsets are sharp.

· Registered
232 Posts
+1 for the FSA Orbit X...ran one for many years (it was actually used for three different frames and was still going strong when it stayed on a bike I sold).

Another option might be the IRD Techno Glide. I used to run essentially the same headset (a Specialized unit that was made by the same manufacturer...Tange) that was a solid performer.

If by chance you are running 1" threaded, its hard to beat the Shimano Ultegra 600 if you can still find one.

· Registered
214 Posts
I support King because of their craftsmanship and environment stance.

If I keep my King headset for 4 yrs. that is a daily cost of $0.09 for the headset, or apprx $3 a month. Can you find $3 a month in your budget to support a great company that is doing the right thing?

I encourage you to visit their website and visit their "company section." Pay particular attention to their environmental practices and ride to work benefits.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's pretty impressive!

cocoboots said:
I support King because of their craftsmanship and environment stance.

If I keep my King headset for 4 yrs. that is a daily cost of $0.09 for the headset, or apprx $3 a month. Can you find $3 a month in your budget to support a great company that is doing the right thing?

I encourage you to visit their website and visit their "company section." Pay particular attention to their environmental practices and ride to work benefits.
I"m impressed by Chris King's values, and commitment to environmentaly safe practises. The frame that I'm looking for a headset for is a new Marinoni that I'm having built. Part of the reason I went with Marinoni is that like me, they are based in Canada, and I'm supporting a "local" economy...in the broad sense. I even decided not to have the frame built with a carbon rear end, as they are most likely made in Asia and shipped here.

I guess if I want to carry my through with that theme, a locally made headset makes sense. Especially at $3 a month! The rest of the components are hold-overs from my last bike, and being Shimano and Mavic, who knows where they are made.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Marinoni frameset

SANdave said:
I just got a Marinoni road frameset and it comes with the FSA Orbit MX.

I don't really buy the $x a month thing though. If you can justify it including personal desire, then get it.
Did you buy a buildkit also to get the headset? Or did it come with the frame only? I know their buildkits on the website are mostly FSA stuff.

I agree that using a $ a day method to justify buying something isn't really a viable concept...you could talk yourself into a WHOLE lot of money problems that way! But when you're talking the difference between a $50 item and a $125 item, it's not a huge stretch.

· Registered
1,347 Posts
this will sound excessively left but for an idea of what happens when you buy everything 'cheap' take a look at the photos coming out of beijing this week!

chris king is a very responsible company and with your clear conciense you also get a great product with mega street cred (which is most important!)

· Administrator
13,168 Posts

· duh...
9,749 Posts
MShaw said:
King HSs are basically install and forget. They'll outlast several frames.

Why go cheep?

M

one reason to go cheaper is if you know you will be selling the frame later... the annual turn and burn, shop guy, pro deal, for example

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Peanya said:
To me, buying a Chris King headset is just like buying a hummer. It says "look at me! I spent 4x necessary just to prove I have money"

but a hummer will break down long before a King HS

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.