Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions wanted.

Right now I have maybe the 1st or 2nd generation 10-speed(non carbon) Record cranks, which are pretty beat up, but work fine, I'm sure the BB could use an overall though... I'd love to upgrade to Record Carbon UT cranks.. but at $500+, I can't justify that or even Chorus for $300+

I'm seeing low cost... Veloce, non carbon UT cranks for pretty cheap 07's for ($100-130) Are these worth the upgrade to UT?? I know they aren't as cool as the Record's but they are still UT, will I notice a difference in what I have now? Should I just keep my beat up Record cranks?

Also how hard are UT to service, they seem like it would be easier than what I have now? I see the UT may be more exposed to water though.

Thanks for any feedback... I did search, but didn't see a whole lot about the lower end UT cranks.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
The difference in the lower end campy cranks is the chainrings. Alloy Centaur has chainrings that are close to what you have on your older Record crankset. If you look at the campy website you will see that the bearings are the same up and down the line. From the bottom to the top you are paying for finish and weight, the durability should be the same.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigbill said:
The difference in the lower end campy cranks is the chainrings. Alloy Centaur has chainrings that are close to what you have on your older Record crankset. If you look at the campy website you will see that the bearings are the same up and down the line. From the bottom to the top you are paying for finish and weight, the durability should be the same.
Thanks for the reply....

I guess its down to the difference in the feel of UT at any level...

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Chorus 2007-08 are almost the same as Record albeit, 30 grams heavier. Also, Record is hollow while Chorus is not. That being said I can't see what $200 is actually buying you. If you can swing it buy Chorus and you'll enjoy them.

BTW, they are easier to service than anything prior to UT.

·
Registered
515 Posts
You can get the '08 Veloce UT (aluminum) here for $118 shipped (limited sizes): http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=L4036 . With bottom bracket cups ($16), this is about the same weight as an Ultegra 6600 external bearing crankset.

Or you can save a quarther-pound and buy some carbon bling by paying $270 for the new carbon Centaur UT (shipped), also at probikekit.com.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback....

I ended up getting these for $99: http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...ion=Veloce+Crank+UT+07+Silver&vendorCode=CAMP
EDIT(I think I must have bought the last one, not there anymore)

Should be about the same weight I have now and at this price I can still think about getting carbon UT compact setup for some climbing I hope to do next year. And hopefully with the UT I won't rub my shoes on the cranks... Pretty much all my cranks get ugly scratches all over them due to my pedaling style.

For anyone else thinking about upgrading I found these from Bike Nashbar that I nearly bought.. and notice the 10% off coupon at the top. http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...storeid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Road Cranks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.