Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so without getting too far into my stupidity, I appear to have buggered the lower cup on my new 1" S2. A hammer blow got out of control and lightly struck the edge of the cup. The result is a 5mm long lip going into the cup (the lip itself is less then 1/2 mm, basically just enough to keep the cartridge bearing from going in). The question is: Am I right in assuming that the cup is now crap and I need to buy a new headset? Or, is this the kind of thing that can be Dremeled out?

Thanks for not judging.

-Dan

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
daneil said:
Ok, so without getting too far into my stupidity, I appear to have buggered the lower cup on my new 1" S2. A hammer blow got out of control and lightly struck the edge of the cup. The result is a 5mm long lip going into the cup (the lip itself is less then 1/2 mm, basically just enough to keep the cartridge bearing from going in). The question is: Am I right in assuming that the cup is now crap and I need to buy a new headset? Or, is this the kind of thing that can be Dremeled out?

Thanks for not judging.

-Dan
If the cup is otherwise seated properly, I think I'd take a chance and grind off the interfering lip. The cup is ruined either way--but maybe it'll still be useable if you grind it. My guess is that the biggest downside will be reduced water-resistance, so you'll have to maintain it more carefully.

You should, of course, look carefully for other, less obvious damage or deformity on the cup--there may be more here than meets the eye, maybe something that will compromise the safety of the setup.

Ultimately, you will have to judge for yourself whether you think it's safe or smart to try saving the cup.

Next time, put a block of wood between the cup and hammer, OK?

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikeboy389 said:
If the cup is otherwise seated properly, I think I'd take a chance and grind off the interfering lip. The cup is ruined either way--but maybe it'll still be useable if you grind it. My guess is that the biggest downside will be reduced water-resistance, so you'll have to maintain it more carefully.

You should, of course, look carefully for other, less obvious damage or deformity on the cup--there may be more here than meets the eye, maybe something that will compromise the safety of the setup.

Ultimately, you will have to judge for yourself whether you think it's safe or smart to try saving the cup.

Next time, put a block of wood between the cup and hammer, OK?
Well now I have two differing opinions, anyone want to break the tie?

On another forum someone posted to try tapping the small lip out with a ball-peen, according to them as long as the cartridge fits it's ok. That grinding down lip will reduce the wall depth and that will cause more damage.

But you're saying that it's screwed either way? If that's so I'll just buy a new headset. There was a little scraping of the Al on the inset side of the cup from going in a little off (the accident that caused the misaligned hit). I filed it down and there seemed to be no other damage to the cup. All is perfectly round and straight (aside from the hammer damage).

There was a piece of wood there, just working in a small space. Accidents happen, lets leave it at that. At least it was only a $25 Cane Creek and not a King or Record headset.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
I think the 'screwed either way' bit is meant in the sense that you've nothing to lose by trying to fix it. It's unusable as is, so if your efforts to fix it don't work out, you've lost nothing.

As for how to fix it, I'd think you'd have poor luck trying to peen it back into shape. Try unbending a paper clip, then making it back into one, and you'll see what I mean - not to mention how you'd hammer at the proper angles. You'll likely only make it more out-of-round. My bet would be on the grinding, if at all. But given the importance and tolerances involved, I'd probably go for new. Maybe you can beg the manufacturer to send out just the part, rather than having to get the whole set?

·
BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
danl1 said:
I think the 'screwed either way' bit is meant in the sense that you've nothing to lose by trying to fix it. It's unusable as is, so if your efforts to fix it don't work out, you've lost nothing.

As for how to fix it, I'd think you'd have poor luck trying to peen it back into shape. Try unbending a paper clip, then making it back into one, and you'll see what I mean - not to mention how you'd hammer at the proper angles. You'll likely only make it more out-of-round. My bet would be on the grinding, if at all. But given the importance and tolerances involved, I'd probably go for new. Maybe you can beg the manufacturer to send out just the part, rather than having to get the whole set?
A++ for Cane Creek. They pulled an uncommon replacement (1" Silver bottom cup) and sent it out to me just five min. ago. Can't beat that for customer service. They just found a customer for life.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
daneil said:
A++ for Cane Creek. They pulled an uncommon replacement (1" Silver bottom cup) and sent it out to me just five min. ago. Can't beat that for customer service. They just found a customer for life.
Good for you--that's service. And as pointed out, I did mean "nothing to lose" when I said "screwed either way."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts