Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got fat and lazy over the winter. I got up to 202lbs and I think I put in about 6 hours on the trainer. Anyway I've been riding about 4-5 hours a week and the weight is starting to come off (193 this morning) but I have a question about LTHR. I haven't done a "field test" (nor do I want to) but I think my LTHR is around 152bpm (I'll be 52 in a couple of months). Last night I rode with some fast guys (Well I rode with them until they dropped me on a little climb) for 1h 20m and my average HR was 151 with 84% of the ride spent in zone 4 (based on a max HR of 168). Based on the info in the chart below do you think 152 is an accurate guesstimation of my LTHR?

Click me to make me bigger.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Drafting will have tempered that number a bit (less effort in a drafting/paceline type rotation.)

As for the zone part, I'm not sure how Strava calculates your zones (220-age doesn't have a lot of validity) so I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the zones distribution of Strava.

I know you said you don't want to do it, but a field test is your best tool to determine your LTHR at this point. You could probably use the 151 in a pinch, and it would probably be within 5%, but I wouldn't take it as a hard/fast without a true field test.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
drafting will have no effect on LTHR - strava should define a threshold range for you with a range of approx 15 bpm. It's fine as a training guide. FWIW, the training score that strava calculates based on HR (a trimp model) is always within a few points of my TSS from WKO. So much so that I use it when I don't have a power file for a ride.

Drafting will have tempered that number a bit (less effort in a drafting/paceline type rotation.)

As for the zone part, I'm not sure how Strava calculates your zones (220-age doesn't have a lot of validity) so I wouldn't put a lot of stock into the zones distribution of Strava.

I know you said you don't want to do it, but a field test is your best tool to determine your LTHR at this point. You could probably use the 151 in a pinch, and it would probably be within 5%, but I wouldn't take it as a hard/fast without a true field test.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
drafting will have no effect on LTHR - strava should define a threshold range for you with a range of approx 15 bpm. It's fine as a training guide. FWIW, the training score that strava calculates based on HR (a trimp model) is always within a few points of my TSS from WKO. So much so that I use it when I don't have a power file for a ride.
Drafting would have an effect in that his HR would (should?) increase as he rides near the front of the group and decrease at the back as he drafts. It's not a level effort one would expect from a field test. I'm not suggesting that drafting would change his LTHR, however measuring it in this way may not be completely accurate.

That said, it's not going to make much difference (max of a few %.) Similar to taking an FTP reading from a hard ride, as long as your VI remains around 1.0.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Why not just do Freils test, it really isn't that painful and then you won't be guessing. The MHR of 168, where is that from, and what does strava (or you, I am not sure how strava works) base the zones on? I would bet your MHR is way higher than 168 and that your LTHr is higher than 152. Do your own test, set your own zones. You might easily find that the strava zone 4 is more like tempo, or not, but you won't know unless you take the time.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MHR of 168 is base on 220 - my age. I don't know how Strava sets its zones. I was pretty much cross-eyed the whole ride so...

I'm just thinking that since I pretty much rode as hard as I could the whole ride (80 minutes) and had an average HR of 151 that my LTHR would be pretty close to that.

No?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
assuming 151, your level 4 training level (Coggan lactate threshold) would be 143-158 bpm. level 5 would start at 160 so strava is setting these a bit higher (as it tends to do - I'm not sure if there is some intellectual property issue going on). Strava lets you customize these levels, but 151 might be on the low side since you maintained it for 80 minutes, so they might be OK as is.

MHR of 168 is base on 220 - my age. I don't know how Strava sets its zones. I was pretty much cross-eyed the whole ride so...

I'm just thinking that since I pretty much rode as hard as I could the whole ride (80 minutes) and had an average HR of 151 that my LTHR would be pretty close to that.

No?

·
Registered
940 Posts

No?
I suppose that the thing is that MHR is meritless and that for a LT self test you ride balls to the wall for 30 mins, guessing that your 80 mins hard group ride is the same as your 30 mins hard ride alone is just guessing, as it is, it probably matters very little really. What are you planning on doing with your data? If you want to ride in zones that actually mean anything vs some arbitrary stuff from strava, then it matters nought. Does it looks better to ride in strava 4 than a freils etc 4? (I am not a bloke, so that is out of my realm of imagination). Most of us are riding to eat, at the end of that day LOL.

Joe Friel - Determining your LTHR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.