Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What types of lube and grease do I need for overall lube job on a bike including the forks, chains etc…

Thank you

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Norboo said:
What types of lube and grease do I need for overall lube job on a bike including the forks, chains etc…

Thank you
Two types, grease and oil.

Grease, I like Phil Wood but any good water resistant grease will work fine. Many just buy the water resistant grease used for boat trailers at the local auto parts store. Many brands. Most of today's bikes come with sealed bearings for the hubs, bottom bracket and headset. You can take them apart and regrease if necessary but most just replace the bearing with a new one as needed. Otherwise you need grease for loose ball or caged bearings. Grease is also used to coat the threads of just about anything you thread onto the bike. Pedals, stem bolts, seatpost bolts, brake bolts, bottom brackets. Also grease is good for things you insert into the frame like the seatpost. If you've got a carbon fiber or a Ti frame anti-seize may come in handy. Think of it as grease with very small particles. Helps stop galvanic corrosion between dis-similar metals that are relatively far apart on the table of elements. However, regular grease serves this function well too, unless your seatpost slips, then anti-seize comes in handy.

Chain oil. I like homebrew 3 or 4 parts odorless mineral spirits to one part motor oil. Apply it liberally to the chain, really drizzle it on while turning the crank (don't get it on your rim). Let sit for 15 minutes or so and wipe off by running the chain through a rag.

Light oil for lubrication of other parts like brake and derailleur pivots. I use 3 in 1 oil but any light oil will do the trick.

That's all you need but you don't need to grease your fork.

P.S. I lied. I use one other type of lubricant on my bike. Lemon Pledge. I spray it on the pedals to stop squeaks and make clipping in and out smoother. I also use it for a nice shine on the frame. No other type of wax or polish will work. It has to be LEMON Pledge :D

· eRacer
2,547 Posts
Chains get Lube.
Threads get Grease.
Cables get oil.
Headset, Stem, Seatpost, BB, Cranks, Pedal Spindles get grease.
Doesn't matter what brand you use; just so long as you use it.

john

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.