Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbish question, but what all do I need to do to re-lube the drivetrain. Just getting ready for after I have to ride in the rain. I have White Lightning lube, what else do I need?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If you going to ride in rain, you might want to use a wet lube instead of a dry/wax lube. Dry lube will wash out when the chain gets wet.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Do a search on "homebrew" on the forums

I started using this a year ago and it has been excellent and cheap. I use a mixture of 1/3 10w-30 motor oil and 2/3 mineral spirits. (but you will see MANY formulas on the forums)You need to let it sit for awhile after application to let the mineral spirits evaporate, so it is best to apply the night before. I always lube after my rides, so I am all set for the next one.

If I need lube right away, I use Prolink. Not that it is better than homebrew, but I can apply and go. Just a LOT more expensive.

I also have White Lightning, Pedro's Ice Wax, Tri-Flow, etc. etc. The only thing I use these for anymore is maintenance or lubing my Speedplay cleats. I actually had a drivetrain noise issue awhile back and as an experiment tried each of the lubes again (just to be sure). Couldn't believe how poorly they performed (in the dry mind you) and how gunked up and dirty my chain was after even a moderate distance ride. Back to homebrew and all is well.

·
Registered
420 Posts
cthomas said:
I started using this a year ago and it has been excellent and cheap. I use a mixture of 1/3 10w-30 motor oil and 2/3 mineral spirits. (but you will see MANY formulas on the forums)You need to let it sit for awhile after application to let the mineral spirits evaporate, so it is best to apply the night before. I always lube after my rides, so I am all set for the next one.
I was recently going to do some homebrew for a cross country bike trip. My problem was transporting it. So instead I bought some motorcycle lube. It seems to work well. Has anyone had any experience with motocycle lube? I figure it is used to keep chains on motorcycles lubed, so my bike must be loving it.

David.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Ditch the WL

scfishy said:
Newbish question, but what all do I need to do to re-lube the drivetrain. Just getting ready for after I have to ride in the rain. I have White Lightning lube, what else do I need?
WL will wash out of your drive train in about 5 miles of riding in the wet. The only reasonable application for WL as a chain lube is if you ride in very dusty conditions. As others have noted ProLink or home brew are good chain lube choices.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rock n' Roll, Dudes

I've been using Rock n' Roll Extreme (the blue stuff) with good luck for winter riding. It's a cleaner/lube... works for me. It's so easy to use, I just shoot a little on after every couple "normal" rides. Clean and lube in 3 minutes.

It's not "normal" in Wisconsin, this time of year. Even after running my chain through a cleaner, the Rock n' Roll gets off more grit. Then you wipe the chain dry. My GF likes TriLube, but she collects enough crud to affect shifting. This is on roads that have winter sand and salt still on 'em. I hate that grinding sound of sand in your chain!

Any product can lube, it's what hangs on in extreme conditions, or doesn't make a huge mess, or collect dirt off the road...

Hard to find, but good stuff. Considering the cost of a 10speed chain, the cost of lube is negligible, IMO

'meat

·
Registered
376 Posts
I save small contact lens solution bottles

iherald said:
I was recently going to do some homebrew for a cross country bike trip. My problem was transporting it. So instead I bought some motorcycle lube. It seems to work well. Has anyone had any experience with motocycle lube? I figure it is used to keep chains on motorcycles lubed, so my bike must be loving it.

David.
These work great for homebrew. I mix the batch in a bigger container, then use the smaller containers to apply, store, give away, etc. If you don't wear contacts, ask someone who does to save you an empty bottle or two.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Well covered, but one more quick note...OK, two.

In Reno's climate (basically West Coast--rain, if any, October through April, almost completely dry the rest of the year), I think most people change with the seasons. WL or something similar in summer, when we have constant dust and frequent wind, then some kind of wetter lube in winter. WL doesn't last long, but I relube the chain every other ride or so anyway. This year I've been using Pro-Link year round, and it works pretty well under all conditions.
Home brew is cheap and works fine, as a couple of people have suggested, but it's never seemed worth the trouble to me. I can buy a season's supply of lube from a bike shop for six or eight bucks, reacquaint myself with the shop guys in case I have a problem I can't deal with and show at least a little support for my LBS. I buy tubes from them for the same reason--it only costs me a few dollars more a year, and it's a chance to drop by the shop..

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
iherald said:
Has anyone had any experience with motocycle lube?
I use Bel-Ray Chain Wax (a motorcycle product) on my bicycle chains. It sprays on white so it looks a little ugly, but it works. The real test has been my son's middle school commuter bike. It spends a lot of time outside in the rain every day, all winter (we live in western Oregon; record rains this year!) and the Bel-Ray wax has held up well. We've only cleaned and re-lubed the chain maybe 3-4 times all winter and there's not a spot of rust on it. The stuff is designed to protect and lubricate motorcycle chains for 500-750 miles before re-application.

·
Registered
43 Posts
cthomas said:
These work great for homebrew. I mix the batch in a bigger container, then use the smaller containers to apply, store, give away, etc. If you don't wear contacts, ask someone who does to save you an empty bottle or two.
I use a Precision Oiler that I bought at Home Depot for a couple of bucks. Looks like a nice ink pen, complete with the pocket clip, but unscrews to reveal a thin pointed applicator with a push button. You can fill it with whatever you want, including homebrew.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.