Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a 35 yo bike I have cleaned up what lubes should I use? Stem quill, Seat post, etc but also dry head, crank & wheel bearings. I need something I can squirt in there until I can get it properly restored. Any suggestions for parts that have rust? I have silicone spray & Si tube lube as well as WD40. What do I need?

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Go to the LBS and get a tube of bearing grease for anything with bearings and anything with threads as well as the quill stem and seatpost. You might consider anti seize for the BB or some teflon tape. Sand or steel wool any surface rust on the outside, prime and paint. Get a round wire brush that is slightly larger than the inside diameter of the tubing. A long, flexible handle is great. Run it in all the tubes you can reach, head, down, seat, top. Try and get a smaller one into the stays if you can. Scrub out as much rust as possible. Do this dry and shake the heck out of the frame in every direction to get out as much of the rust flackes and dust as you can. Go to your local auto parts store and get some stuff that reacts with rust and turns it black. Spray this inside the frame as far as you can get it in every tube. This will help stop rust from growing again. After this has dried spray some JP Weigle Frame Saver in all the tubes.

The only parts of the bike I lube with oil are derailleur pivots, brake pivots and lever pivots and, of course, the chain. 3 in 1 or any light oil is good for pivot points, just a drop or two. Whatever your choice of chain lube, I use homebrew. New cable and housing is in order. New brake pads, I like Kool Stop salmon. New rubber of your choice. New tape and maybe new brake hoods depending on their condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.