Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
If you mean derailleur pivot points/screws, I use a syringe filled with non-detergent 20W oil (air compressor oil). I can precisely inject a drop small where it's needed.

On the chain, DuPont MultiUse Lubrican w/ Teflon. It's a dry-ish lube that doesn't attract too much road dirt & grit. Although it's an aerosol, the spray straw allows it to be dispensed w/ little overspray (but I still hold a paper towel behind the chain.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I use Boeshield T-9 or Tri-Flow, by the drop, on the pivots of my derailleurs. Same for the chains - one drop per link. Wipe off any excess.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
yep - anything will do here... including what u use on your chain... don't forget to hit the springs as well to clean em. really gummed up rear derailleur springs can mess up shifting.

·
leon2982
230 Posts
getting lazy I guess

because I just use WD-40 on the chain these days. Seems to work well for cleaning, it's not too sticky for attracting dirt, and it penetrates well. I still use tri-flo on the pivots, etc.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
tom_h said:
If you mean derailleur pivot points/screws, I use a syringe filled with non-detergent 20W oil (air compressor oil). I can precisely inject a drop small where it's needed.

On the chain, DuPont Multi Use Lubricant w/ Teflon. It's a dry-ish lube that doesn't attract too much road dirt & grit. Although it's an aerosol, the spray straw allows it to be dispensed w/ little overspray (but I still hold a paper towel behind the chain.
Works great in cassette bodies as well.

·
Registered
832 Posts
leon2982 said:
because I just use WD-40 on the chain these days. Seems to work well for cleaning, it's not too sticky for attracting dirt, and it penetrates well. I still use tri-flo on the pivots, etc.
This is seriously a bad idea. Here is why:

http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/

And what is said on this video is true. I know my surface-chemistry and properties - I'm a chemist. Alex is not kidding you.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Puchnuts said:
This is seriously a bad idea. Here is why:

http://bicycletutor.com/no-wd40-bike-chain/

And what is said on this video is true. I know my surface-chemistry and properties - I'm a chemist. Alex is not kidding you.
Baloney! Tens of thousands of cyclists have probably used WD40 on their bikes. I've used it and still use it. "Course I'm new to cycling. I just started riding in 1960. Aside from anecdotal stories like these, I've never seen any substantial, objective data to support that WD40 has ever harmed a bicycle. Anecdotes like, "Well I used it on my bike and it...blah, blah." I'd like to see some scientific data that WD40 has indeed caused damage. Show me.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
personally i'm a fan of wd40 - for the purposes of the OP, it would do for derailleurs - but for chains there are better options. wd40 is not much of a lubricant.... does a pretty good job of cleaning a chain in a pinch however.

the big issue is using it around your bike... u dont wanna shoot wd40 down a cassette body, even worse a freewheel cluster for example. It does a pretty good job of stripping existing grease and dispersing grime everywhere, including on the bearing races.... this is probably where the idea that wd40 does more harm than good comes from... i'm sure some people, especially those who do little research, would just indiscriminately shoot the stuff all over the drive train.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I really like WD40 for cleanup and removing grime.
A little on a rag works great in so many situations.
I've used it on my chain, but prefer OMS and Home Brew.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
Baloney! Tens of thousands of cyclists have probably used WD40 on their bikes. I've used it and still use it. "Course I'm new to cycling. I just started riding in 1960. Aside from anecdotal stories like these, I've never seen any substantial, objective data to support that WD40 has ever harmed a bicycle. Anecdotes like, "Well I used it on my bike and it...blah, blah." I'd like to see some scientific data that WD40 has indeed caused damage. Show me.
Totally agree.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I always use home brew on my chain too. I don't know for sure, but it looks to me like home brew cleans a little better. There have been times when I've ridden in the rain, then had to ride home again. I was really in a hurry so I liberally sprayed the chain with WD40. No ill effects yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts