Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After only one ride my chain is starting to rust (bike got drenched), so I thought I'd better get some lube on there, couldn't believe how many products on the market, any recomendations? Cheers.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Oh man, this is one of those religious flame war topics.

Anything the bike shop carries is fine. I like ProLink, other guys like White Lightning, some guys swear that stuff is just a high markup ripoff and will share their recipe with you.

Just don't use WD-40.

And the trick is to "apply sparingly" meaning you don't want a dripping chain. Just a drop on each roller, spin the pedals backwards for a while, then wipe off the excess.

Wet chains just pick up more road gunk and get dirty faster. Dirty chains wear out faster. Worn out chains wear out expensive cogs and chainrings.

· Registered
232 Posts
If you have lots of time and are very meticulous...nothing beats Dumonde-Tech. But it requires a completely clean chain to start with and you must not over lube. Before I had kids, I swore by this stuff. But I don't have the time to fuss with it anymore, so now I use Pro-Link which keeps my chain reasonably clean and can be applied without completely cleaning my chain.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't get the Prolink, can get White Lightning, requires degrease though, is that easy to do, they have a chain cleaner with a trigger and brushes or just an aerosol of the degreaser, which is best?

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
I used finish line dry last year.. I switched to Pedros road rage this year and so far I like it more.

Degreaser can be simple green.. kerosene, pain thinner, or any other solvent you can get. The biodegradable ones get the better for the planet vote. I'm a fan of soaking my chain and rinsing clean.. then soaking in rubbing alcohol to clean off any degreaser. The alcohol dries faster than water so you don't need to wait as long to apply your lube.

A clean bike is a happy bike.

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Home brew

mrgoodcat said:
Can't get the Prolink, can get White Lightning, requires degrease though, is that easy to do, they have a chain cleaner with a trigger and brushes or just an aerosol of the degreaser, which is best?
Make your own. Mix 1 part oil (your choice as to what oil) with 3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits (available in any paint/hardware store). Apply liberally, then wipe of the excess. Do this AFTER a ride so that the mineral spirits evaporate before you next ride. It leaves a clean outer surface (minimizes dirt pickup) and lube in the important places. People have used motor oil, gear lube, etc. as the oil portion. It all works. Extremely cheap and very effective.

The ONLY time White Lightning is a good choice is is you never ride in the rain and things are VERY dusty in your neighborhood. Otherwise, it tends to suck. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.