Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family will be relocating and my son will be taking his road bike with him, am trying to save on expenses and have seen posts regarding using luggage to transport bikes.

I'm willing to pay the baggage fee in order to save on over sized charges or sending the bike thru a carrier.

Any suggestions or pointers?

Edit: His bike is 52cm and if possible will take an additional wheelset.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I fly with my bike all the time using these http://www.pikapackworks.com/ I can easily fit a extra wheel set in there, never had an issue. Heck going to track nationals we did 2 frame sets (no cranks or bars) and 5 wheel sin one bag with no issues. the nice thing about a soft case is you can easily fit it into a small car when there.

If the frame is really small you might try a over sized reg bag some of the girls on my wife's team manage to do this by taking the fork out of their frame and carrying the wheels seprate.

You could not pay me to ship my bike, I want to know it will get there when I do (kind of important if you are racing).

·
Registered
337 Posts
I trust UPS/FedEx more than an airline. I've never had problems shipping my bike, but I've had luggage get lost several times, and with the way those airline guys handle luggage, I wouldn't trust it, especially since TSA is pretty much guaranteed to open up your stuff and check it out. A teacher of mine actually watched them literally throw his bike case onto the the plane, he took pictures/video of the action with his camera just in case the bike was damaged.

Lo and behold, he inspected his bike before he left the airport he arrived at and found that his frame had been damaged (he had pictures of the frame before he closed the case). And this was with a hard bike case. He ended up getting his money for the frame, but after I heard about that, I'll never fly my bike. UPS/FedEx ground with insurance and tracking is the best way to go. Ship early to someone you know in the area so that it's there for you when you get there.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
oroy38 said:
I trust UPS/FedEx more than an airline. I've never had problems shipping my bike, but I've had luggage get lost several times, and with the way those airline guys handle luggage, I wouldn't trust it, especially since TSA is pretty much guaranteed to open up your stuff and check it out. A teacher of mine actually watched them literally throw his bike case onto the the plane, he took pictures/video of the action with his camera just in case the bike was damaged.

Lo and behold, he inspected his bike before he left the airport he arrived at and found that his frame had been damaged (he had pictures of the frame before he closed the case). And this was with a hard bike case. He ended up getting his money for the frame, but after I heard about that, I'll never fly my bike. UPS/FedEx ground with insurance and tracking is the best way to go. Ship early to someone you know in the area so that it's there for you when you get there.

The threw it cause it was a hard case, when they see those they chuck em cause they think the case can take it. I have never seen them throw my softcase not have I had my bike damaged in all the flights I have taken , I have however had a number of bikes damaged in shipping.

·
Don't Tread on Me
993 Posts
I shipped just the frame via USPS for $68 from Colorado to New York.

I built a box and brought the wheels, seat, pedals, and the rest of my gear and checked it on as luggage ( I get up to 2 pieces of checked baggage free as a AA customer ).

That was the cheapest, safest, worry free option in my case.

YMMV

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
oroy38 said:
That site I posted uses the aircaddy box, and you can schedule everything from their site.
I didn't look at your site till reading this and when I went to the site I saw that the address they give in Oak Park, Il. is Licktons which is lickbikes.com.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked the sites and none offer service from where we're relocating so my options are to box it and take it as baggage and pay the hefty fee or send it thru a carrier (UPS, FedEx) and pay the hefty price anyway.

Took a bike on a trip a while ago and it made it fine but on the return they manage to screw my bike up and that's why I'm hesitant.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If you can possible fit it in a large regular suitcase, do it. A friend does this with his folding bike. The oversize fee is about 1/4 the bike fee. Tell 'em it contains tools.

Oh, yeah, avoid Delta if at all possible.

·
Registered
337 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
Checked the sites and none offer service from where we're relocating so my options are to box it and take it as baggage and pay the hefty fee or send it thru a carrier (UPS, FedEx) and pay the hefty price anyway.

Took a bike on a trip a while ago and it made it fine but on the return they manage to screw my bike up and that's why I'm hesitant.
Airline will probably be cheaper overall. I just shipped my bike to school using FedEx and insured it for the full value of the contents of my bike case (bike, shoes, helmet) and it was expensive as all hell. Airlines generally make you sign some waiver that release them from any responsibility for damage to the bike. The only reason my teacher got his money was because he had evidence of unnecessarily rough handling. At least with shipping you can have the package insured so that in the event the bike does get damaged or lost, you can give them all your receipts and say "Buy me a new one." The only downside, i guess, is that if the bike arrives tip top, you're out of a pretty hefty chunk of change for the insurance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts