Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,601 Posts
The lightest top performing carbon frames currently are all tube to tube carbon wrapped. From what I understand, it allows them to use tubing that's constructed with the carbon fiber filaments under tension, either through braiding or winding. Apparently it has the best stiffness to weight ratio. I don't think you can do that with a monocoque mold kind of construction.

· Registered
984 Posts
I have to disagree with the looks of a lugged carbon frame. I think the Colnago frames look like someone superglued some tubes together and then airbrushed some artwork on them.

· Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
JimP said:
I have to disagree with the looks of a lugged carbon frame. I think the Colnago frames look like someone superglued some tubes together and then airbrushed some artwork on them.
Eyeball a Serotta MeiVici. Dead Sexy.

That's the other advantage. A lugged frame can be custom sized, a monocoque comes in the size the molds are made in.

· Life In the big ring
244 Posts
I fyou look at the example of the Colnago President vs. the C50, the President is a stiffer frame up front and the BB is beefy, but the frame is a bit heavier than the C50 and the same price as the Extreme C which has proven plenty stiff if you'r elight enough to ride this frame.

Carbon lugged frames can easily be made in a lot of sizes where it gets prohibitively expensive to offer monocoque frames is a lot of sizes.

As far as stiff, light and lugged goes, I think the Time Ulteam takes the cake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.