Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK who goes for a quick lunchtime sprint/climb?

Since I added an older steel road bike to my quiver* of bikes -- which are mostly MTBs -- I've been scoping out places with a bit of climbing / low traffic roads to give me a lunchtime burn.

I find the climb at lunch does it more for me than the flats, probably since the flats require more risky fast cornering with all the dangers of traffic that entails. PLus if I ride to where the climbs are I have to do them fast to get back in time -- built in motivation.

I imagine it's probably just a phase I'm going through but still curious -- who goes out at lunchtime for a quickie say 25 - 40 minute ride?

·
trying to HTFU...
1,910 Posts
yup, me too...

since my weekends seem to be occupied with work and kid-stuff, i've taken to
leaving my kestrel at work. my friend and i ride into nearby Griffith Park
to do a decent hill and a few rollers, a total of almost 15 miles. if we
clean the hill without too much trouble, the ride can take about 45-50 minutes
averaging around 15-17mph. when it's hot or smoggy, the ride can take
an hour to an hour fifteen minutes(we're hurting at this point.)
we ride nearly every day that it's not raining, below about 60 degrees
or oppressively hot(like today, it was about 90 and smoggy, good rest day.)

i am also fortunate that work has a fitness center complete with showers
so i can get cleaned up nicely before getting back to the grind-stone.
there's nothing worse than being a stinky code-monkey.

after about 8 months, we're finally getting a few people interested in
riding with us, only we have to be nice to them and not cook them
too badly(ie keep the speeds reasonable, and don't go storming up the hill)
i'm hoping to get enough people interested that we can split up into
appropriate speed groupings. it'll just be nicer all around.

health-wise, it's totally been worth it, my blood pressure has dropped from
130/80 to 119-120/75, my resting heart rate has gone back down to the low
60s from the 80-90s, i sleep much better(maybe tired?) - the only weird thing
is that i've gained a lot of weight; from 165 to~ 172lbs, i'm guessing it's my
legs since they're in better shape than they've been in for years. now if i
could only reduce the spare tire around my gut ...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Xactly,
Esp. with the kid stuff. My kids ride, but if they want to play baseball or do something else, they're at an age where they need the variety.

Plus the weekday riding helps keep some sort of legs.

Today someone said "you look like you lost weight" But what I ended up with is different shaped thighs. It's kind of incredible to get such tangible results, gotta love it, although the spare tire is diminishing reluctantly.

That's a nice long ride you got there. I lose a bit of time changing clothes by the side of a road -- or driving to a place where I can get a good ride, some hills, and avoid traffic. But it's still been worth it.

Nice you have some place to change. I kind of towel off, but last week the sweat was still pouring off my brow even after I put the work shirt back on. Summer may put the kybosh on, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

cwg_at_opc said:
since my weekends seem to be occupied with work and kid-stuff, i've taken to
leaving my kestrel at work. my friend and i ride into nearby Griffith Park
to do a decent hill and a few rollers, a total of almost 15 miles. if we
clean the hill without too much trouble, the ride can take about 45-50 minutes
averaging around 15-17mph. when it's hot or smoggy, the ride can take
an hour to an hour fifteen minutes(we're hurting at this point.)
we ride nearly every day that it's not raining, below about 60 degrees
or oppressively hot(like today, it was about 90 and smoggy, good rest day.)

i am also fortunate that work has a fitness center complete with showers
so i can get cleaned up nicely before getting back to the grind-stone.
there's nothing worse than being a stinky code-monkey.

after about 8 months, we're finally getting a few people interested in
riding with us, only we have to be nice to them and not cook them
too badly(ie keep the speeds reasonable, and don't go storming up the hill)
i'm hoping to get enough people interested that we can split up into
appropriate speed groupings. it'll just be nicer all around.

health-wise, it's totally been worth it, my blood pressure has dropped from
130/80 to 119-120/75, my resting heart rate has gone back down to the low
60s from the 80-90s, i sleep much better(maybe tired?) - the only weird thing
is that i've gained a lot of weight; from 165 to~ 172lbs, i'm guessing it's my
legs since they're in better shape than they've been in for years. now if i
could only reduce the spare tire around my gut ...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
First. Can't thank you Marines enough for what you do.

That's one heck of a piece of real estate you got there. I was at Fort Lee the other month and couldn't help thinking that there was some decent riding to be had on and near base. At least compared to New York here where I am dodging cement trucks doing 70.

PS. Feel free to PM me any time you have something to say about your exchange or commissary or even TFEs - always interested to hear, since I cover that area for a publication that supports quality-of-life/MWR.

jarhead-usmc said:
I go on a 31 mile ride everday at lunchtime. I start from Camp Pulgas(43 area Camp Pendleton) and ride the base, old highway/bike trail up to San Clemente and back.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I get only 30 mins for lunch and its spent stuffing my face with a sandwich and fruit. I work in a warehouse which is a 100 metres long so if im alone and bored ill hammer for a few pedal strokes hard as I can, slow down and turn around on the warehouse floor and do again. This gets extremely boring but after 5 minutes you can feel the burn.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a week without bike, my first opportunity was a quick 20 minute lunchtimer today. Impossibly short, but just couldn't restrain meself. Thank goodness for hills, wind and the MTB to make it more of an effort. I treated it like a race against time and distance, went hard, and went back to work feeling a lot better than I left, if not a lot sweatier.

40 mins is the most I can get, if pre-change and drive to the route quickly.

B-Fun said:
i haven't yet gotten in the lunchtime ride. kinda hard as a high school teacher, only 50 minutes for lunch. although i do have an hour and 20 minutes for my prep period?!?:idea:

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
I get an hour for lunch but the way things are with my offices I could be paged at any
time to drive 70 miles away.

I'm tempted to bring a roadie ride along with my vehicle though since my next
region is going to be way out and there's great places to ride everywhere.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
rideorglide said:
OK who goes for a quick lunchtime sprint/climb?

Since I added an older steel road bike to my quiver* of bikes -- which are mostly MTBs -- I've been scoping out places with a bit of climbing / low traffic roads to give me a lunchtime burn.

I find the climb at lunch does it more for me than the flats, probably since the flats require more risky fast cornering with all the dangers of traffic that entails. PLus if I ride to where the climbs are I have to do them fast to get back in time -- built in motivation.

I imagine it's probably just a phase I'm going through but still curious -- who goes out at lunchtime for a quickie say 25 - 40 minute ride?
I did. As this is the last week of regular school (finals next week, whooo) I'm not doing it anymore, cuz I can bike whenever. However yeah about 2 days a week I'd go out and ride cuz I have a free period right after lunch, so that I could get in a good hour.
My problem is that it takes 20 mins to get out of town and 20 to get back in. But yes, I would say I enjoyed them, and they sent me in refreshed. I woulda done hills, but alas, I live in Illinois. A couple times I brought the MTB and did repeats over a big local artificial hill, and that was really fun, but when I got back to class I was dripping... not so good.
-estone2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.