Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

This thing is awesome! The night hours are finally mine!! I'm using this on my Colnago C50 with the new 31.8mm bracket. Lately I've been frustrated by an inability to ride during the day due to various responsibilities. Trainer was getting old fast. This is going to change my training in a big way, not to mention the fact that it's a whole different experience at 2AM - kinda spooky, fun, new, relaxing all at the same time. I feel totally safe with the outrageous output of the Edison.

I recently purchased a Lupine Edison 5 from Todd at www.petersonbikegear.com and wrote up the followng for the product review area:

"After lots of research, I finally took the plunge on the Lupine Edison 5. Everything about this setup is top-notch: housing, mounting, bulb, light pattern, switch, battery, charger. It was expensive, but I have no regrets whatsoever. It's a "no excuses" product that does everything right, and it's compact and lightweight to top it all off. I did my first night ride last night and the unit surpassed all my (high) expectations. No interference with my Polar s720i HRM, which is a big plus (presumably because of the shielding afforded by the aluminum housing). Having this light has finally opened up the night hours for training. Give Todd Peterson a shout at petersonbikegear dot com and he'll take care of you."

BK

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
outrageous performance, outrageous price

I choked too, but in the end I came to terms with the cost for such a mission-critical component. Wheel upgrade will have to wait, and I'll need to take the spouse out to dinner before she finds out how much I spent. Email Todd for current pricing...

BK

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
bk_856er said:
I choked too, but in the end I came to terms with the cost for such a mission-critical component. Wheel upgrade will have to wait, and I'll need to take the spouse out to dinner before she finds out how much I spent. Email Todd for current pricing...

BK
Maybe you could consider cooking for her instead. It's a lot less expensive.:p

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
bk_856er said:
I choked too, but in the end I came to terms with the cost for such a mission-critical component.

There is no doubt a good efficiant bike light is mission critical, but 750 bucks is too hard to swallow for me. I built a homemade 20 watt halogen light out of pvc pipe that completely lights up the road for less than 50. It is certainly bright enough for any group fast ride at night, and still leave room for a nice wheelset.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=57384&highlight=homemade+bike+lights

Not putting you down "856er". Your light is great and my only observation is I wish I could afford it.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
I am glad you like it but your review reads like spam.

A completly glowing report of a product that you have owned for a really short time. Have you even got the price of that thing down to a-buck-a-mile?

Write the thing up again when you get the cost of the thing down to a-dime-a-mile and don't just say how wonderful it is. Include the bad and I might be more inclined to give some weight to your review.

BTW we ride thousands of miles a year in the dark with a variety of headlights. Cyclists have been riding at night quite successfully pretty much for as long as there have been bicycles. IMHO what really matters is not how well your headlight lights up the road but how well motorists can see you in the dark.

BTW2 If your wife doesn't kill you she is a saint indeed.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
bigrider said:
750 bucks?

This cracks me up.
750 bucks sounds like a lot, but you get a bulb, a battery and a switch for it in return. Rumor has it it comes in a genuine aluminum housing too. :p

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
rogger said:
750 bucks sounds like a lot, but you get a bulb, a battery and a switch for it in return. Rumor has it it comes in a genuine aluminum housing too. :p

Yeah and the light beam shakes like Shakira when you ride on a bumpy road. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
not spam, just excitement

Sorry if the review looked like spam. I'm just excited about the thing and wanted to share my initial impressions. I'm a sucker for a really well-executed product. I will report back again in about a year with the good and the bad. Lots of Lupine info out there already, so read up if you're interested. I also wanted to give some attention to my source since they (small one-person operation) went out of their way to set me up and save me a few bucks. I like to support the little guy enthusiast whenever I can. The cost is high, but comparable domestic HID systems are also big $$. I'm riding at night now and I'm giddy as hell...

BK

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Dang, that's worth more than both of my bikes together!

I'm a firm believer in a quality light, don't get me wrong, but holy carp!
Also there's a lot to be said for an 8' road shoulder and a full moon on a cloudless night!

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
bigrider said:
Yeah and the light beam shakes like Shakira when you ride on a bumpy road. :D
Mmmmmmmmm.... Shakira......

·
Registered
246 Posts
bk_856er said:
Gang,

This thing is awesome! The night hours are finally mine!! I'm using this on my Colnago C50 with the new 31.8mm bracket. Lately I've been frustrated by an inability to ride during the day due to various responsibilities. Trainer was getting old fast. This is going to change my training in a big way, not to mention the fact that it's a whole different experience at 2AM - kinda spooky, fun, new, relaxing all at the same time. I feel totally safe with the outrageous output of the Edison.

I recently purchased a Lupine Edison 5 from Todd at www.petersonbikegear.com and wrote up the followng for the product review area:

"After lots of research, I finally took the plunge on the Lupine Edison 5. Everything about this setup is top-notch: housing, mounting, bulb, light pattern, switch, battery, charger. It was expensive, but I have no regrets whatsoever. It's a "no excuses" product that does everything right, and it's compact and lightweight to top it all off. I did my first night ride last night and the unit surpassed all my (high) expectations. No interference with my Polar s720i HRM, which is a big plus (presumably because of the shielding afforded by the aluminum housing). Having this light has finally opened up the night hours for training. Give Todd Peterson a shout at petersonbikegear dot com and he'll take care of you."

BK
Still in sticker shock! What does the replacement bulb cost? How long do the bulbs last for?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Lupine website has some specs on bulb life, as well as some pros/cons on halogen vs. HID. I almost went with their "nightmare" halogen/Li-ion setup, which probably would have been enough, but in the end I was suduced by the sheer output of the HID system.

The HID bulbs are expensive to replace, and replacement must be done by the dealer as I understand it. HID bulbs have no filament, so they might be more rugged than a traditional bulb. You definitely pay a premium for HID technology. Lupine actually makes their own ballast, so this is not your basic welch allen setup (runs at 16W and claims 950 lumens). The Li battery adds to the high cost.

Somewhere on the mtbr site there is a very decent "light shootout" and the following is also an interesting comparison of beam patterns:

http://terrengsykkel.no/img.php?d=guide/tester/lykter2005&id=1424

BK

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
I hear the HID lights, though bright, have a housing you could cook an egg on.

There's a morning bike commuter who uses a Cateye Stadium light and the
first time I saw it I swore it was some guy on a motorcycle.

Were you able to take the thing off your bike when done riding without burning
yourself to a crisp?

What's battery life like?

I really love HID lighting but the cheapest I've seen has about 3.5-4 hours of
battery life and the best I've seen is verging on 6 but is within $150 of the
price that bk_856er quotes for this unit. It looks like the median price is
in the $500-$550 range.

In the meantime I take my multiple white LED lights out and they're pretty
bright when ganged together but singly it would be scary.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear 'ya. My quest for a modern light started while I was out running at 2AM (wishing I was riding) and a cyclist blasted by in the opposite direction with some type of HID setup. I could've sworn it was a helicopter coming at me. My "epiphany" was that late night riding could be a sensible option and lighting systems had come a LONG way compared to 15 years ago.

The Lupine housing gets warm, but not too hot to touch. It probalby gets hotter if it's on for a while without airflow, but I had no problem removing it after my ride. If the Edison gets too hot the system will reduce the power from 16W to 10W in order to protect the light (or so the manual says).

I believe my battery is rated for 4.5hrs, but I haven't confirmed that yet.

Yep: HID + Li-ion = $$

BK

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Homemade lights

For just a little over $100 I made a set of handlebar and helmet mount lights. A 20w narrow beam handlebar mount and a 20w wide beam helmet mount. This included the housings (JC Whitney fog light housings), switches, wire, halogen bulbs, handlebar and helmet mounts, batteries, fuses, carry pouch and smart charger. Here's a link to a post I made over at MTBR http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=83132&highlight=light

I'm not sure how many lumens they put out but theres plenty of light for mountain biking. Road biking actually needs less light than mountain biking, to see and be seen. Run time is over 2.5 hours actual, not computed.

That price is insane. There are many less costly systems that put out more light than you need on the road. If you aren't a shill for Lupine then you succumbed to their advertising. I'm sure you've got a quality product that puts out lots of light. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Someone with more knowledge help me out.

First a disclaimer. I've got big streak of gadget/gear Weenie in me. I often find myself paying premiums on things just to be the first kid on the block. I often buy one or two levels up from what I need "just because I can".

Now, I've wanted a nice light set for a long time now. I first got interested in the Night Rider HID stuff and was kinda thinkin it would evenually come down in price, but it hasn't and even more expensive systems are poping up all over the place.

So someone help me out here:

What makes this only cost $14.99

and this Cost $900.00.

a) The "Cost of Goods Sold" Components
b) The Volume of Sales Delta (250,000 [email protected] = 5000 [email protected])
c) There's a sucker born every minute
d) You get what you pay for
e) Something completely different

I'm the kind of guy that dosn't mind paying extra for most things, but these light systems strike even a guy like me as what they would call in lending "usery". There must be some key knowledge that I don't understand about lights that creates these kinds of prices.

Someone give me the insiders scope.

Thanks
Scot

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why the hostility?

I did my research, swallowed hard, paid my money and recieved a product I'm excited about. Lights can be had for lots less money and if you're technically inclined you can even build one yourself. It's debatable how much light is "enough" - the more the better as far as I'm concerned. There are different light/battery technologies at various price points. Why the hostility and references to spam and shill?? I'm not trying to defend my purchase or put down other products, and I certainly have no connection to Lupine or anyone else. I'm also not trying to suggest that anyone NEEDS a light like this. I'll be the first to admit that the Edison costs an outrageous amount of coin, but so do the other HID/Li-ion setups (L&M, NiteRider, etc.). I feel safer out there at 2AM and for that reason alone I'm happy. Poorer, but happy.

BK

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.