Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it make me a bad person that I really, REALLY want a SSCX bike with a belt drive?
Should I seek counseling?
The Raleigh SSCXWC frame is awesome, it's too bad there aren't more manufacturers that are making this option available- and no, I'm not considering spending $1400 on a non-custom steel frame, Spot (even though I kinda want to.)

Los
 

·
Do not touch the trim.
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
sslos said:
Does it make me a bad person that I really, REALLY want a SSCX bike with a belt drive?
Should I seek counseling?
The Raleigh SSCXWC frame is awesome, it's too bad there aren't more manufacturers that are making this option available- and no, I'm not considering spending $1400 on a non-custom steel frame, Spot (even though I kinda want to.)

Los
Still seen too many issues with belt drive to be confident.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OnTheRivet said:
Still seen too many issues with belt drive to be confident.
Yeah, I know, I know... but it's still making my pants tight.
Maybe, by the time I can consider buying a belt-compatible frame, we'll see if their new fangled groove-thingy takes care of some of the issues.

Los
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,444 Posts
Is that Raleigh even belt-compatible. I don't see anyway to split the rear drive-side triangle to get the belt in.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
civdic said:
What are the issues? Do they stretch or is it a dirt collector?
Guy I know with a SS belt drive MTB has skipping issues on steeps--not sure you'd put that much torque on it with cross though. I see they are coming out with a new design--that might address this issue. Really no reason a belt shouldn't work--they use them on motorcycles and they work there with lots more torque than on a bike.
 

·
Is not a clown car
Joined
·
2,191 Posts
I've got a local here that has one of the Trek District Carbon's. He's been putting some tortuous miles on it as it's also his only road bike. No issues thus far with his belt skipping or anything like that. Riding it is otherworldly. Take a properly tight fixed gear out, and you have a buttery smooth drive line/ride. The belt is up above and beyond that yet. Just amazing, really.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
unclefuzzy_ss said:
I've got a local here that has one of the Trek District Carbon's. He's been putting some tortuous miles on it as it's also his only road bike. No issues thus far with his belt skipping or anything like that. Riding it is otherworldly. Take a properly tight fixed gear out, and you have a buttery smooth drive line/ride. The belt is up above and beyond that yet. Just amazing, really.
The guy I know having issues either has to keep it so tight that it makes his hub noisy or it skips on the steeps. With a commuter/road bike you're never going to put that kind of torque on it that someone on a singlespeed mountain bike would climbing steep singletrack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
krisdrum said:
Is that Raleigh even belt-compatible. I don't see anyway to split the rear drive-side triangle to get the belt in.
Yup, keyed at the track end, then the stainless steel face bolts on to hold it together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bocephus Jones II said:
The guy I know having issues either has to keep it so tight that it makes his hub noisy or it skips on the steeps. With a commuter/road bike you're never going to put that kind of torque on it that someone on a singlespeed mountain bike would climbing steep singletrack.
While I agree that singlespeed mountain biking may present some problems, especially for those who run the equivalent of 32x20 or lower (what's that with the belt, 894x3671.3?) I think with the taller gearing in CX that wouldn't really be an issue.
Maybe, somehow, the grooved belt being debuted will take care of all the issues: creeping off the edge, slipping, uneven wear, rising sea levels, mutated feral pigs...

Los
 

·
Not Banned
Joined
·
49,013 Posts
how come it has

WC Stripes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
atpjunkie said:
WC Stripes?
Official sponsors of SSCXWC?
Maybe one of their riders won SSCXWC, vet/transgender class?
Actually, come to think of it, while not versed on Raleigh's race historyor palmares, considering that they've been around since the Harrison administration, they probably have had a World champ somewhere along the line.

Los
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,359 Posts
I have a friend that races SS CX on the Gates belt system with no issues. Another top level SS MTB guy (wins expert open on an SS) in our area didn't have as much success but rides it a TON on the road with no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
davidka said:
I have a friend that races SS CX on the Gates belt system with no issues. Another top level SS MTB guy (wins expert open on an SS) in our area didn't have as much success but rides it a TON on the road with no problems.
That jives with what I've heard as well- maybe the added torque of the lower gearing twists things just enough to cause the belt to pop over the teeth, or something.

Los
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,234 Posts
Raleigh sold 50 of those things last year. It was a theme bike for SSCXWC. (And yeah, they sponsored the event.)

Whether or not that counts as a world championship is arguable, I guess. But it's a cool bike. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AndrwSwitch said:
Raleigh sold 50 of those things last year. It was a theme bike for SSCXWC. (And yeah, they sponsored the event.)

Whether or not that counts as a world championship is arguable, I guess. But it's a cool bike. :)
Well, they're not really World Champion stripes (unless the UCI is sneaking brown in, and rearranging the other colors [which, to be honest, wouldn't surpise me. 32mm? Sheesh!],) so I guess the point is moot.

Los
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I checked out the carbon bike Sally (Raleigh Marketing Head) was riding at starcrossed, looked really sweet, to bad they top out at a 59 or i might want one. I will proably buy the 29er SS belt drive this winter as a muddy day mess around bike with no maintenance
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top