Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got Kona Dr. Dew hybrid, the drivetrain is a mixed bag of road and mtb parts, the crankset is a road triple I believe.

It has Shimano SLR-440 shifters, never heard of these before. They have the ability to half-shfit to trim the front (I know this is common with road shifters, never seen it with rapidfire shifters).

Anyways, it doesn't seem to work real well so I would like to replace the shifters and am considering LX. Do you think it would work?

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
As far as I can tell, all Shimano rear derailleurs require the same amount of cable pull to get them to shift so you should be able ot do what you want to do. The front road derailleurs, though, are different and not compatible. You can either try to make it work or go for only the right shift lever (Cambria Bike sells the right shifter separately, I think).

·
Registered
491 Posts
no go

mountain rapidfire levers wont shift a road front der, the r-440 are special rapidfire levers designed to work with road derailuers. However if you want Mountain rapidfire levers you could switch the front der to a mountain front der. I did this on a cyclocross bike, I used an XTR front derailuer with a road crankset and XT rapidfire levers, it takes some adjustment to make it work but it worked well for my bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts