Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
608 Posts
biker said:
Anyone know where you can buy these saddle covers ?
I have often wondered what happened to those things. Bike shops used to have a box or basket filled with all sorts of funky covers. I had a zebra striped one on my first race bike. Maybe with all the non-Turbo shaped saddles you can no longer make a cover that will fit most saddles.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Yeah!

biker said:
Anyone know where you can buy these saddle covers ?
As my Flite was starting to show signs of leather wear-through, I went looking for a new saddle cover. I've used them for years to protect the saddle and really extend its life. Avocet used to make a good cover, but several attempts to procure some NOS covers proved useless. I've looked for covers in several places, but have come up empty. I guess with all the empahsis on new, new, new, the market isn't interested in making the product, which is essentially designed to make saddles last longer. If somebody makes them, I don't know who they are, but I would still like to buy some (now to fit an Selle Italia SLR).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you ride the bike with the saddle cover on? Dosen't it make the saddle slippery? Just asking as i never rode with one and it seems like it might make your contact with the saddle a little dicey

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
That's why we ride in lycra shorts

longlegs said:
Do you ride the bike with the saddle cover on? Dosen't it make the saddle slippery? Just asking as i never rode with one and it seems like it might make your contact with the saddle a little dicey
The interface between the shorts and saddle is supposed to be slippery, at least to some degree. This slipperiness is to prevent chaffing as our legs (and various unmentionables) rub against the saddle. Staying in the saddle should be more a function of the saddle shape and orientation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts