Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm wondering if I should invest in some decent quality bibs to wear on rides. I'm a bigger guy (215 @ 5'11) so I hesitate to buy something like bibs. I've been using Fox Ranger MTB shorts for the past few months but now that it is heating up they are just becoming too uncomfortable and hot.

I guess I'm more curious about what you guys think about when you see a large guy sporting the lycra on the side of the road...

·
turtle killer.
1,854 Posts
I'm about 3" taller than you and currently hovering between 210 and 215. Bibs are FAR more comfortable, especially for bigger guys, IMO. So much more so, once the my shorts wear out, I'll never buy another pair. Personally, I don't really care what people think when I ride past anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am 6'3", 220# and wouldn't wear anything but a bib when riding. Try out multiple brands and see what feels best. Try to at least sit on a bike and see how they feel when you are in a riding position.
Get a set and you will be happy that you did.

·
Registered
183 Posts
+1 on bibs

Bibs feel better to me and I would think look better on you than shorts no matter how freakish you think you are. Remember, you will have a jersey over, so no one will really know whether they are bibs or shorts. Shorts can creep down, your gut can spill out, ass crack can be revealed, ...
Tell anyone who doesn't like you in lycra that they can kiss your rock hard ass.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am much bigger than you at 6'4 and 250lbs but bring that weight down slowy but surely and will wear nothing but bibs... I am just getting back into cycling again after about 10 years off the bike. I ended up buying some Performance Ultra bib's for $45 on sale about a month ago. They are better than any bibs I wore 10 years ago by far. How they compare to Asso's and other's that are 3-4 times the price I do not know. I do know I have really liked theses tough. YMMV....

·
Registered
339 Posts
I say go for the bibs. Most people won't think or say anything of it, and if they do, they're *******s and not the kind of people you want to be riding with anyway. If you really aren't comfortable with yourself, then stick to the MTB shorts, it's not a big deal. What matters is that you're out riding, not what you're wearing.

·
Registered
9,694 Posts
velo_guy said:
I guess I'm more curious about what you guys think about when you see a large guy sporting the lycra on the side of the road...

No much. I'm straight.

Seriously though 5 11 215 isn't that big but you probably do have a bit of gut and that is more a case FOR bibs than it is against them. You could always throw a pair of cheap light gym shorts over them if you're that worried about the look though that is less than ideal.

·
Roll Model
402 Posts
I was 6'2" 260lbs last year, when I finally convinced myself to get some the first thing I thought was old school wrestler and oddly this got me going. Seriously, they feel so much nicer and, like Poppadaddio said, you don't have to worry about them falling down!

Dr. Nob
The kind of people who do care are the kind of people who's opinion you should never ever care about

Agreed! The only negative comments I have received, other than from friends and family and they get some slack, have come from people bigger than me, in a car/truck and usually with some form of junk food in their hand.

colombo357
Get the bibs. If you don't like how you look, it'll be a good driving motivation to lose weight.

It worked for me! Right around 190lbs now, still 6'2", and I got to go down a size!

Go for it!
Have fun!!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Dude,
Life is too short to worry about what others think. Wear what you want, and don't pay any attention to what folks think or say.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
krustyone said:
Agreed! The only negative comments I have received....have come from people bigger than me, in a car/truck and usually with some form of junk food in their hand.
LOL! Isn't that the way. Some couch potato triple quarter pounder type yell 'fat ass!' At someone who would touch fast food and is out biking to stay healthy :rolleyes:

It worked for me! Right around 190lbs now, still 6'2", and I got to go down a size!
Congrats on losing 70lbs!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.