Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been road biking for about 2 years now, and have recently gone all out and gotten some nice lycra shorts. Till now i HAVE been riding with padded shorts, but they were always baggy mountain bike shorts. These new ones are really nice, they fit great, but for some reason my "beanbag" isn't liking them. I dont notice while im riding but when i get home i realize quickly that something is rubbing, and it doesnt feel good at all. I used to not go camando, i thought maybe that was the issue, so i tried goin camando, but still have problems. Any suggestions????

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
You may need a little lube up in there. There are plenty of people who will rush on here and recommend chamois cream, but I never thought I needed to go that far. I have a stick of skin lube (I use UltraGlide, but there are a number out there) and just put some in the places that seem to want to chafe when I don't use the lube. It's a lot neater than chamois cream (which people tend to fricking slather on), and cheaper too, since you use so little at a time. You can even just use petroleum jelly, but it's harder to get off.

I'd start slow, with a simple skin lube, and see if that helps. If it helps but doesn't completely solve your problem, move up to something a little heavier.

·
Registered
121 Posts
get that package up !!

Is positioning the problem?? I lift the whole package up and then let the lycra snap back into place. I never let "ole one eye" hang to a side. Bibs are much better at not sagging than shorts (ie- bibs hold me in place better)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think the point is that everyone has to find their comfortable spot. Personally up and to the left, but whatever works for you. I've never used creams, and believe if you just shift it till it works, you don't need them. Experiment with it, just pulling up the shorts is definitely not comfortable.

·
Registered
343 Posts
lmao @ this thread, I cant belive we are having this discussion. I use body glide (great product unfortunate name.) on very long rides, I tend to get a little rub on the inside of my thigh on the saddle. Solves any frank and beans problems too lol.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
I use three strips of duct tape: for each strip, I stick one end down on the taint, keeping tension on the tape, and then pull the other end up toward the front and stick it down in the belly hair. I then run a fourth, longer strip of tape circumferentially around my abdomen to further secure the tape.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Bigger shorts?

I'm among those blessed with an iron crotch, apparently--only time I've ever had a problem was when I bought some shorts on sale and they were a little small. I gave them to a friend ("No, no--they're brand new. I just washed them . . .") and moved up a size.
It may help to arrange your package so it's more or less centered, though Lycra squeezes mine up until it's more or less invisible. And if you don't like the goopy feel of various lubes, try baby powder or talcum powder (warning--may form sludge if you sweat a lot)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.