Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with this company and if so how do you like their products. In the mood for a new SS road frame. Would be their fixie frame drilled for a rear brake.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had an extensive conversation with one of their reps about their design and such.

They seem like a really legitimate crew of people. Their components and materials are pretty
high end, and some of their designs (helix tubes) look really cool.

I didn't end up purchasing one due to budget limits, but If i had enough they would have been in my top three choices.

Their also open to a lot of custom options for reasonable prices... like belts :)

If you do decide to go with them, buy two and send me one.

jmk

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Lynskey is a very well known and reputable builder. The family actually founded the Lightspeed brand and later sold the company. I own one of their road bikes and it is superb.

I looked at the fixed gear frame on their web site a few months ago and it stated the frame was not drilled for a rear brake. This might of changed since I last looked but you might want to double check before you order.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They can drill for brakes as I spoke with a rep via live chat so that is no problem. I am not familiar with this brand & want to make a wise purchase decision. I just want something quality that rides all day and not kill my back but still be able to get up and go when sprinting and not feel sluggish.

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
Lynskey is definitely a reputable company and makes good products. Whether a particular product is the right one for you, is a more difficult question.

At least on the mountain bike side of things, they are also building frames for other brands (to different designs and specs from their own).

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
singlespeedbuss said:
Anyone familiar with this company and if so how do you like their products. In the mood for a new SS road frame. Would be their fixie frame drilled for a rear brake.
I know I'm late here and you already ordered, but just to add, I've had a semi-custom Lynskey road frame for a year, put about 8000 miles on it, and I love it. They're good people and they make a good product.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are really responsive on their website with their live chat that for sure. I am patiently waiting for my frame and having a set of stans alpha 340`s built up using Pauls hubs. Buttery smooth. I will try my luck with tubeless on the road. Congrats on your Lynskey.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2 yrs. later...
Has anyone had problems with their Lynskey?
I've read of frame failures,70%; MTB only?
I want a HELIX but"chinese" tubes welded in USA?.

·
Registered
996 Posts
2 yrs. later...
Has anyone had problems with their Lynskey?
I've read of frame failures,70%; MTB only?
I want a HELIX but"chinese" tubes welded in USA?.
My helix seems to be fine. I thought the difficult part of working Ti was the welding. Not sure it matters from whom the tubes are bougnt IF they meet specs.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm finishing my second summer on a Sportive and there's a big guy in my club riding a 3 year or so old Helix. I've heard of one broken Lynskey road frame, but then I've heard of broken Treks, Cannondales, Specialized, etc.

Not sure about their mountain bikes, but mountain bikes take a lot more abuse than road bikes.

I also spent a good amount of the 1990s working in a shop and heard enough JRA stories and "I was working on my bike and IT broke" to take any "my bike broke" story on an Internet forum with a grain of salt. Not saying they aren't true but when I read about a guy having to force a seat post in and then yanking, pulling, twisting, etc. to get it out, it tells me something may not be right with the user. Chances are either the seat post wasn't manufactured to spec or maybe the seat tube wasn't manufactured to spec. I've seen more out of spec seat posts than out of spec seat tubes. Problem is, the typical person at home bought the fancy out of spec seat post on the Internet and forces it anyway instead of grabbing another one to see what the problem might be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just hope "Lynskey" will be around for some time to come.
As they say "a life time warranty is worth nothing if the co. isn't around.
Not hating; it's just hard parting with$$$$.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts