Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks.
I just have a question for any lynskey owners who are running a tapered fork on their road frame. I have just purchased a helix os with a enve 1.5 tapered fork which needs an external bearing cup assembly on the bottom of the headtube. By installing the external cups on the headtube the headtube gets lifted by nearly 1 cms. As a result changing the head angle slightly. Does this change in angle have an adverse affect on the handling of the bike?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Use THIS/ calculator to determine the change in head angle.

It's apparent to me you purchased the wrong headset for this frame/fork. The Lynskey website clearly says it's designed for a Cane Creek internal headset.

Since Lynskey also offers Enve forks, it's obvious to me that if you merely used the correct internal lower headset bearing for your Helix, the Enve fork would work without a change in head angle.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Use THIS/ calculator to determine the change in head angle.

It's apparent to me you purchased the wrong headset for this frame/fork. The Lynskey website clearly says it's designed for a Cane Creek internal headset.

Since Lynskey also offers Enve forks, it's obvious to me that if you merely used the correct internal lower headset bearing for your Helix, the Enve fork would work without a change in head angle.
The frame is designed to accept an internal headset at 1 1/8 with the option to fit a tapered fork by adding a lower cup. This will raise your front end by ~8mm.

Ther bike will feel more stable, but will also slow steering response. Most people who have done it either don't notice or don't like the difference. Theoretically you could correct this by using a fork with a longer rake to decrease the trail, but Enve only makes their tapered forks in 43mm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The frame is designed to accept an internal headset at 1 1/8 with the option to fit a tapered fork by adding a lower cup. This will raise your front end by ~8mm.

Ther bike will feel more stable, but will also slow steering response. Most people who have done it either don't notice or don't like the difference. Theoretically you could correct this by using a fork with a longer rake to decrease the trail, but Enve only makes their tapered forks in 43mm.
Thanks for the feedback guys. I decided to swap the fork with a straight 1 1/8. Far less hassles this way.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a Helix OS and tried the tapered fork after having used the non-tapered fork for a season. The Cane Creek headset worked great but the bike's very nimble and precise steering was slowed down considerably. I sold the tapered fork and went back to the original headset and nontapered fork. My friends noticed the difference also- some like the increased stability but most wanted the nimble handling back. Great frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.