Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
It seems I need to contact my attorney to even discuss Lynskey's honoring of their warranty.I purchased a helix o/s frameset in 2011,I bought an sram red group and Zipp 404 firecrest from my LBS.The price was much better locally.I raced it in 2011 without any problems.When I was changing tire this spring I noticed the non-drive chainstay has a notch actually rubbed into it.I changed to dura ace wheels and finished out the season.Just a few weeks I emailed a picture to a Lynskey salesman who informed me it should not be a problem .He also said for 2013 they has changed frame design to allow for 25c tires and wider rims.All I said was I would contact my cycling lawyer friend and ask him if I was being unreasonable about my complaint.They will not even discuss my problem,anymore.It seems when a customer mentions a lawyer their policy is to stop communicating.I could have bought the same wheels from Lynskey and was never informed there was a wheel or tire restriction when I bought the frame.I would never ever buy another Lynskey.I will let my attorney handle my problem.I f you think of doing business with Lynskey,think again
So let me get thris straight. The wheel caused a notch on the frame? But the frame is still in tact and not broken at the notch? And because they ignored you when you threatened them with your lawyering up, you are sursprised?

As for Lynskey selling the same wheels, maybe you got a defective wheel that had more side-to-side play than it was supposed to? Also, I don't think a frame maker has the responsibility to identify which wheels/tires are allowed on a given frame.

Have you fallen into a fountain while texting and walking in a mall lately?
Texting Fail: Woman Falls in Fountain - YouTube

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess maybe I wasn't thinking clearly.The salesman I bought the frame from said the rubbed chainstay wasn't a problem,not a framebuilder or engineer.To fix my chainstay the salesman said he could get me a price to do the work.It would not be covered under their warranty.My email to them asked for the price and stated I would talk to my friend (who happens to be a lawyer) why the warranty did not cover the work.Why would I not contact a lawyer when a company gives me no reason why the warranty does not apply??I've been wrong plenty of times before.I very well could be wrong now.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I guess maybe I wasn't thinking clearly.The salesman I bought the frame from said the rubbed chainstay wasn't a problem,not a framebuilder or engineer.To fix my chainstay the salesman said he could get me a price to do the work.It would not be covered under their warranty.My email to them asked for the price and stated I would talk to my friend (who happens to be a lawyer) why the warranty did not cover the work.Why would I not contact a lawyer when a company gives me no reason why the warranty does not apply??I've been wrong plenty of times before.I very well could be wrong now.
Speaking only for myself, I wouldn't contact a lawyer as a first step to conflict resolution in a warranty situation like this; I'd ask for further clarification and a reason for it being denied if I wasn't satisfied.

I think that option was removed though, when you mentioned your cycling lawyer friend. People and companies don't like being threatened with legal action, especially as a first, right out of the box response. If I were in their shoes and someone mentioned 'lawyer', I wouldn't presume that they were mentioning the word 'lawyer' because they wanted to see if they were wrong. I would presume they were mentioning the word for the reason so many people mention the word, as a subtle threat to move others to action in their favor.

While it is reasonable for you to contact your lawyer friend for clarification, since you've informed them of your plans, it isn't reasonable for you to expect them to not presume you will pursue legal remedies if your friend says you have a case, is it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
After two weeks of emails I said I would talk to my lawyer,not at first.I would have rather they gave me a price the first day ,instead I got the feeling(right or wrong) that lynskey wanted me to forget the whole thing.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
I must speak to my suing, I mean cycling lawyer, I mean friend before I have any more to say on this topic. :cryin:

Hey pal, you are only three posts into your time here. How about you abandon your login and pretend like this never happened. Re-join under a different login. Maybe "tihsepa" or something like that. :D

·
9,790 Posts
I don't get it. You mention only talking to your local shop. So when did Lynskey say directly to you that it wasn't covered by warranty?

If it was indeed caused by the wheel/tire rubbing against the frame, that is NOT a warranty-covered event.

When you mention "lawyer", all direct communication ceases and further communication is done through the lawyers.

ie: you screwed yourself.

Reactions: vagabondcyclist

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think you are right ,I'm screwed.I bought the frame directly from the manufacturer,everything else from my LBS,haven't contacted them.Beginning to think I'll just ride my skinny tires.I love the frame but just thought i should be able to use wheels that i could have purchase originally on the bike. Lynskey did mention they had a problem with rubbing and had changed frame design.Don't think i want my frame cut-up and fixed anyhow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is from linskeys website:

"All Lynskey Performance Designs bicycle frames carry a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects to the original owner. We reserve the option to repair or replace your frame, depending upon the identified issue and the repairs necessary.

If you have crashed your bike or drove your car into a parking deck while your bike was on top, then it is not covered under our warranty program, but we can help you fix it. Give us the details and we can determine the best solution for repair."

Using components not compatible ie wrong tire size or a wheel that flexes too much would not fall under frame manufacturing defect. You bought the frame and put your own mix and match parts. Your responsibility to ensure proper fit. Ive always assumed the helix was their Race frame which most racers use 23c tires. I know my Tarmac wont take a 25c without risking rubbing during a lean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's exactly my complaint,I did not ride 25c tires,I ride 23c just like everyone else.I also did not mix and match parts.I bought the same parts offered by Lynskey,but I purchased them from my LBS....I assumed proper fit because the bike was offered that way by Lynskey.

·
Juanmoretime
2,201 Posts
Bought everything else from the LBS. I own 6 Lynskey's and never had an issue with 23mm tires and many different wheel sets. Sounds like an issue with the wheelset or wheel installation. Sounds like the LBS needs to make it right not Lynskey.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank you for the additional photos. It does look like you have some rubbing going on. We can get you more room with either replacing or dimpling the chainstay on your current bike. Your frame was not design to use the new wider rims that are now available. If you want to do this I can get you the cost for
this so you can use your Firecrest wheelset.
Why was it not designed for the wider rims,I believe the same wheels were sold by Lynskey in 2011??If I had bought the wheels from Lynskey would they have honored their warranty??

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's exactly my complaint,I did not ride 25c tires,I ride 23c just like everyone else.I also did not mix and match parts.I bought the same parts offered by Lynskey,but I purchased them from my LBS....I assumed proper fit because the bike was offered that way by Lynskey.
Wow I just read all this thread.
It seems like a horrible mess for the customer and business(Lynskey).
I am not a lawyer.
There must be a better way to handle this situation that will benefit both parties.
I have and am still thinking about buying a Lynskey as I am sure many others are.
After reading this thread I am sure many potential Lynskey customers have decided to move on to another builder.
Are we getting the WHOLE truth from the OP?
Why has Lynskey not given their side of the story?
I am not attacking either party!
Nothing good has come from the interaction for either party in this situation.
What happened to a symbiotic relationship?
Too many companies these days either do not know what customer service is or do not care! Try dealing with Panasonic, Microsoft or any software run on the computers OS, Sears...I have had bad interaction with all these companies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am the OP and I believe I have truthful.I could not remember 100% that the Zipp 404 Firecrest were sold by Lynskey or just pictured on their website.I emailed Lynskey that I was almost sure they were,which was ignored.I'll probably just ride narrow rims,I don't like Lawyers or trouble.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I changed from Cont 4000s to Pro4 tires on my bike and that gave me a little more clearance between the tire and the non-drive chainstay. Both brands were 23, not 25, on standard 19 to 20mm rims.

·
Registered
135 Posts
In my opinion with the information I have gathered it seems Lynskey has made a VERY POOR decision not to make it right with the OP.
There seems to be NO excuse even if the OP unknowingly got on Lynskeys bad side for saying he was going to talk it over with his friend the lawyer. Lynskey still made a mistake with the bike build, admits it... and does nothing.
Seemingly the big mistake by the OP is giving his money to Lynskey.
The facts presented here are:
1) OP buys a faulty bike from Lynskey
2) Lynskey in return for money gives the guy a bike that they then or at the very least now know and admit there is a fault/defect/problem with their product
3) Lynskey does nothing

Show me were my logic and information as presented here is wrong.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
In my opinion with the information I have gathered it seems Lynskey has made a VERY POOR decision not to make it right with the OP.
There seems to be NO excuse even if the OP unknowingly got on Lynskeys bad side for saying he was going to talk it over with his friend the lawyer. Lynskey still made a mistake with the bike build, admits it... and does nothing.
2) Lynskey in return for money gives the guy a bike that they then or at the very least now know and admit there is a fault/defect/problem with their product
3) Lynskey does nothing

For all we know this alpineheightscc guy is full of it. Thats where your logic is flawed. He comes here pounding his chest about his lawyer, finds no support and then goes away. My vote is that he screwed up his own frame and is unhappy about it. Linskey knows what they are doing. Sounds like BS to me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
3) Lynskey does nothing

Okay, Here is where your logic and information is wrong.

You started out with the statement, "the facts presented here are:" when you have no idea if they are in fact, facts. I presume that the OP isn't lying, but short of verifying that, they aren't 'facts', are they?
1) How do we know it was faulty?
2) Based on what I read, I didn't see Lynskey admitting any fault.
3) Lynskey stopped responding after being told that lawyers were getting involved.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Okay, Here is where your logic and information is wrong.

You started out with the statement, "the facts presented here are:" when you have no idea if they are in fact, facts. I presume that the OP isn't lying, but short of verifying that, they aren't 'facts', are they?
1) How do we know it was faulty?
2) Based on what I read, I didn't see Lynskey admitting any fault.
3) Lynskey stopped responding after being told that lawyers were getting involved.
Yes the more correct term would have been information vs facts.
You my friend are correct!
Would you like curtain number 1, 2, or 3 :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
3) Lynskey does nothing

i'd counter and say at worst, it wasn't faulty but poorly designed. At worst. At the time the frame was produced, it was perfectly suited for the standard rim width. Now that wider road rims are becoming more prevalent, new frames have adjusted but when yours was produced, the tire/rim clearance the OP's frame provided was perfectly acceptable.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts