Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Because there are old steel bikes doesn't mean that carbon fiber isn't longer lived properly made.

I absolutely agree that there are very few places in which you can flex any bike enough to be disturbing but there are several places around here. And it isn't a welcome thing to have the bike doing 40+ mph and have the steering grow light.
What bike were you on that the steering grew light? I've gone 58 mph down Tram Way in Palm Springs Calif on a steel bike and the bike never felt light. Racing pros have exceeded 75 mph many times on all sorts of materials over the 100 plus years that race has been ran, and I never heard anyone complain the steering went light. I took my Lynskey to Pittsburgh and found myself doing 48 going down one of their many hills and never felt the bike going light.

So you have to explain that further.

·
Registered
442 Posts
What bike were you on that the steering grew light? I've gone 58 mph down Tram Way in Palm Springs Calif on a steel bike and the bike never felt light. Racing pros have exceeded 75 mph many times on all sorts of materials over the 100 plus years that race has been ran, and I never heard anyone complain the steering went light. I took my Lynskey to Pittsburgh and found myself doing 48 going down one of their many hills and never felt the bike going light.

So you have to explain that further.
I have absolutely no idea what you think you're talking about. Bumps at speed is what I'm talking about. Going down a straight road sure isn't any accomplishment.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I have absolutely no idea what you think you're talking about. Bumps at speed is what I'm talking about. Going down a straight road sure isn't any accomplishment.
what are you talking about? I use to race in mountains all over So Calif, those roads were far from smooth, and Tramway wasn't smooth when I went down it, ruts and cracked pavement from the heat, I'm sure they've probably paved it several times since i've been down it. But you don't possibly think that the guy in the TDF are riding down straight smooth roads do you? And neither were back roads of S Calif mountains either.

·
Registered
442 Posts
We could argue this all day long and then some....and in the end we'll agree to disagree.

"On the whole carbon fiber is a much better material." Says who? And I'm sorry but the word "better" is subjective and only relevant to the person that said it. Your better may not be my better.

My 2009 Lynskey R331 has 68,900+ miles and is still going strong after 10 years. It IS NOT flexy and I think "better" than any plastic bike I've ever ridden, in my 40 years of riding.

But the bike that I'm really waiting for is my new custom Chris Bishop. Oh but then you don't like "small time builders" so you wouldn't be interested in a new steel bike, made to order in a fast road geometry with room for 30's.

I. Can't. Wait.

So no plastic, I mean carbon fiber for me thank you very much. I'll take hand made metal any and every day of the week.
Why would I want some small time builder when I have my Lemond Zurich made from oversize Reynolds 853 and made by Trek? It is nice that you're willing to put your life into the hands of some builder that you could never make any recovery from if they do a crappy job but I had enough of that from IRS (A rather large Italian company whose response to their carbon fiber fork having one leg that wasn't even glued onto the crown was "We didn't advertise in the US so we are not liable"). Now I have the rest of my life to take anti-seizure medication and not be able to feel the front half of my feet. I have very little balance and need to maintain a visual horizon or I can fall down. My riding without a lock-down is reduced to 5 or 6 thousand miles a year and only 200,000 feet of climbing. But then I suppose at 75 that might happen to anyone.

And I never figured that I would keep some bike for 11 years unless it was the best there is. I ride with a group and one of them purchased a new Lynsky. He was rather proud of it with one of the first Di2 set-ups. From across the street I could see a failed weld and pointed it out to him. Lynsky didn't argue with him but I don't know how you could since the top tube weld to the head tube failed and the crack extended into the head tube for an inch.

Now, of course your welds might last forever. But all it takes is a sand grain size spot of titanium oxide in a weld to expand into an entire fractured weld over time.

As for custom built steel bikes: I saw one where the builder forgot to braze one lug altogether and it was hidden by a rather nice paint job for 2 months or so before it failed. Luckily it was the seat-tube bottom bracket lug and control wasn't too badly compromised and he could even ride it home. "Gee, I'm sorry" isn't going to hack it if you are killed because of such a failure.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Why would I want some small time builder when I have my Lemond Zurich made from oversize Reynolds 853 and made by Trek? It is nice that you're willing to put your life into the hands of some builder that you could never make any recovery from if they do a crappy job but I had enough of that from IRS (A rather large Italian company whose response to their carbon fiber fork having one leg that wasn't even glued onto the crown was "We didn't advertise in the US so we are not liable"). Now I have the rest of my life to take anti-seizure medication and not be able to feel the front half of my feet. I have very little balance and need to maintain a visual horizon or I can fall down. My riding without a lock-down is reduced to 5 or 6 thousand miles a year and only 200,000 feet of climbing. But then I suppose at 75 that might happen to anyone.

And I never figured that I would keep some bike for 11 years unless it was the best there is. I ride with a group and one of them purchased a new Lynsky. He was rather proud of it with one of the first Di2 set-ups. From across the street I could see a failed weld and pointed it out to him. Lynsky didn't argue with him but I don't know how you could since the top tube weld to the head tube failed and the crack extended into the head tube for an inch.

Now, of course your welds might last forever. But all it takes is a sand grain size spot of titanium oxide in a weld to expand into an entire fractured weld over time.

As for custom built steel bikes: I saw one where the builder forgot to braze one lug altogether and it was hidden by a rather nice paint job for 2 months or so before it failed. Luckily it was the seat-tube bottom bracket lug and control wasn't too badly compromised and he could even ride it home. "Gee, I'm sorry" isn't going to hack it if you are killed because of such a failure.
I thought there is something wrong with you, and yup, I'm right! You just like to argue nonsense with whomever. maybe it's your age playing games with you, maybe it's that crash you had that scrambled your mind, (sorry about the crash, unfortunate crap happens), either all that or you're just a grumpy old man.

First you started in on me about some smooth road nonsense, now you're telling people that small builders aren't worth a damn and only large builders like Trek is...this is completely laughable. You obviously know very little about Lynskey or you would have never said what you said, Lynskey got was a pioneer in the US for building stuff out of titanium, and he was and still is the best, he became so well appreciated he was contacted by the US government and later by NASA to build various projects with titanium for the space program. In 1984 he decided to branch off and make titanium bicycles for production, so he created and founded Litespeed, where the technology and techniques he developed and used to build TI bikes became the text book for ALL other TI builders that followed him including the real expensive builders. He sold Litespeed only to have a rift developed between the new owners so Lynskey instead of retiring open another TI bike manufacture to compete against Litespeed and called it Lynskey.

If you go to Litespeed's website and read all about the history of Litespeed (which they fail to give any credit to Lynskey on their website) but ALL, and I mean ALL of those innovations were by Lynskey. Lynskey created Lynskey company with more of an eye toward the upper masses, so they make their bikes a bit cheaper than they use to with Litespeed that marketed toward the upper few instead of the upper masses. Doesn't mean Lynskey makes bad bikes whatsoever, but there was no one making TI bikes that upper masses could afford, so Lynskey changed that.

Any bike can have a problem, I sort of doubt the story you said because I seriously don't believe the owner would have missed a failed weld point with a crack, nor do I believe you could see that from across the street. I've seen failed Trek bikes too, so even if you are telling the truth, what does it prove? Not a damn thing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm not impressed with you in the slightest. Like all of these groups there are the people who like to think themselves heroes. You aren't. You're the guy who has to post on every subject because you're the group hero. I just went out for a couple of hours and put in 25 miles and 2,000 ft of climbing. Since nothing is open and you can't stop anywhere for a break and coffee I can't do my usual distances and climbs.

But at least I'm not posting with a picture like you are. That pretty much matches your posting personality.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I'm not impressed with you in the slightest. Like all of these groups there are the people who like to think themselves heroes. You aren't. You're the guy who has to post on every subject because you're the group hero. I just went out for a couple of hours and put in 25 miles and 2,000 ft of climbing. Since nothing is open and you can't stop anywhere for a break and coffee I can't do my usual distances and climbs.

But at least I'm not posting with a picture like you are. That pretty much matches your posting personality.
I'm sorry you feel left out of the hero's club, it's exclusive, and since I am a hero all the coffee shops open when they see me come by. You got me on the mountains because I don't have any where I live now, but I did do a 70 mile ride today with 75 pounds of gear and bike and no coffee just to see if I could...but heros do that sort of stuff you know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

I've had enough of the chest thumping bull ****. I've got no time for you or this forum. I'm out of here!

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
I've had enough of the chest thumping bull ****. I've got no time for you or this forum. I'm out of here!
Don't go just ignore him, he went by another name on another forum called CyclingTom, and that's what he did, day in and day out, I left that forum because of him, but we can't just leave every forum or there be none left for us to go to.

So stick around and just put him on the ignore list, so that's what I did on the other forum, I went back and ignored him. He is an expert at getting people pissed off but knows very little about cycling though he'll pretend he does and comes up with all sorts of stuff like he wrote the white paper about how helmets don't do anything, just weird stuff he'll come up with. He can control himself because he eventually, after a very long time, went up against a Mod and got kicked off for 6 months, but he's back and being sane there so far. So he does this for fun, because if he can be sane at another forum he can be sane here.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,820 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Don't go just ignore him, he went by another name on another forum called CyclingTom, and that's what he did, day in and day out, I left that forum because of him, but we can't just leave every forum or there be none left for us to go to.

So stick around and just put him on the ignore list, so that's what I did on the other forum, I went back and ignored him. He is an expert at getting people pissed off but knows very little about cycling though he'll pretend he does and comes up with all sorts of stuff like he wrote the white paper about how helmets don't do anything, just weird stuff he'll come up with. He can control himself because he eventually, after a very long time, went up against a Mod and got kicked off for 6 months, but he's back and being sane there so far. So he does this for fun, because if he can be sane at another forum he can be sane here.
Thanks. Ignore activated.

Anyone wonder why I have only posted 66 times in 11 years?? It's because of a$$holes like him.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts