Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did it go for you Sage?

A buddy of mine starting cramping real bad 65 miles into it. (Inner thighs, then quads and calves) That slowed us down considerably and required us to cut out the final loop around Pewaukee Lake to avoid a couple of those hills. We still did 90 plus miles. That was a little disappointing, but he was really hurting and my 20 mph goal was out the window.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad I wasn't the only one. In the end, the heat and wind just killed me. I left the 5th rest area fairly well wiped already and by the time I hit the far northern point of the course I was dead -- only to turn back south into the wind. From there to the Erin Elementary stop I don't think that I went higher than my second lowest gear. I sat in the shade at Erin hills, felt a little cramping coming on, looked at the radar on my cell phone, and listened to my concerned wife who had been at the stop to cheer me on and decided to call it quits there knowing the hills that were coming. 72 miles completed my day.

Turned out to be good. They started pulling people from the course because of the weather. I would have been pulled before finishing anyway. Had I pressed on with the suffering, I would have been pissed! Oh well, next year calls . . .

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rethinking it, my buddy started to cramp on C going out of Delafield. While it is not a steep grade, it is just a long grind. That was more like 50 miles in. For him to gut out 40 more miles was darn good.

We were looking forward to the down hill grade on Highway K into Monches. The wind was so strong it negated any benefit of the downhill.

A couple of guys that I regularly ride with did the two day TOMRV ride. They got baked with 91 degree heat on Saturday and caught in terenchial down pours on Sunday. And we do this why? Oh yeah, it's fun :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was at the trek 100. The first half of the morning was some great riding the wind was low and we covered some good distance. by noon we were at the 50 mile marker. My legs really started to kick in between 50-60 miles point and i was leading my small riding buddies by almost a mile and a half. But then around 70 miles everything went to crap. you guys remember that section that was in the back farm roads.. those hills were horrible and the wind was impossible. I didn't have anyone to draft off of or help me through it, so i spent most of my time on my own because i was pretty much dropped by the guys i rode with (nothing against them they are just way more seasoned than I am). By 80 miles i had a small panic attack thinking i wasn't going to make it and the hill just kept getting worse. Some how i pulled my self together and finished the race just before they stopped everyone from riding as the weather turned sevre (Sp??). I'm really glad i got to the ride, it was alot of fun and i will do it next year.. Hopefully no wind :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
vboy19 said:
you guys remember that section that was in the back farm roads.. those hills were horrible and the wind was impossible.
Amen to that. I just remember there was a part up there that looked flat but that was just killing me. Looking at the Garmin afterwards, I saw that it wasn't flat!

Oh well, next year calls . . .

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vboy19 said:
... you guys remember that section that was in the back farm roads.. those hills were horrible and the wind was impossible.
Yep, that stretch between the church and Erin school sag stops. Yesterday was the first time I rode that in the clockwise direction.

Click on the "show elevation" on:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-states/wi/-pewaukee/52632466

to see where the elevation trended up from about mile 32 to 75. Granted, those used to riding mountains would laugh but mix it with the wind and the relatively hot/humid conditions and it was a challenge.

Next year it will likely go counter clockwise and you get the larger hills out of the way early while the legs are fresh.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ya i blew through the first 50... I think the wind was just mind blowing. I was like "i'm never doing that again" but i'm down for it again. It was a great experience. I saw some guy with a 6.9 Astana Painted madone.. I was jealouse :). that's what i love about these rides check out all the cool bikes out there. Did you guys see lance's Live strong Bike? He parked two cars down from where we were standing.. It looks sick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
vboy19 said:
Ya i bl Did you guys see lance's Live strong Bike? He parked two cars down from where we were standing.. It looks sick.
You mean this one?

They auctioned it off at the Century Club Dinner on Friday. Trek designed it as a one-of-a-kind for Lance to ride on Saturday. The winning bid was like $20,000. A SWEET ride! :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.