Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
They are sharp looking, and an intriguing design from a materials and manufacturing perspective.

They are also not terribly light, aerodynamically meh, and hideously expensive.

Excellent for a show bike. Less good for either a training bike or a race bike, as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are sharp looking, and an intriguing design from a materials and manufacturing perspective.

They are also not terribly light, aerodynamically meh, and hideously expensive.

Excellent for a show bike. Less good for either a training bike or a race bike, as far as I'm concerned.
Not light? What do you suggest then? I am also looking at Xentis 5.8 silver line, but they are not lighter. As mentioned, i prefer clincher. Sadly i don't find much of info of zerocx wheelsets. They seems to offer a nice set for the money though.
ZeroCx - Bicycle Carbon wheels

·
irony intended
772 Posts
zerocx just looks like another entry without any history assembling readily available generic rims, hubs and spokes. Not a problem but probably nothing special.

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
I think the only real advantage Mad Fiber wheels offer is that you never have to true them, but then again if you break a spoke you have to send the wheel to the manufacturer for an expensive repair.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have talked to dealer for Zipp and Enve (same) and Mad fiber (does not carry the other two brands). Now i'm actually even more interested in Mad fiber. So i seriously hope anyone here who has them, or tried them can share!? I am ofcourse looking for info of the new 2.0 version sets. About weight, i can not find any clincher wheelset lighter than Mad, who ever wrote, Mad fiber were not especially light, please inform me of the lighter wheelsets you did think of.

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
The "2.0" connotation by MAD is misleading, as can be expected from marketing hype.

Their meaning of "2.0" means its a revised standard wheel. In other words, the standard spoked wheel as we've known for the past generations has been superseded by some new magical wheel that is surely all things to all people.

If you have to have deep dish for whatever reason, my advice is to buy the 9000 C50 clincher wheels. You will have more value for your money than with any other hip carbon wheel. And best of all, you need not ever worry about braking, in wet weather or on 5000' descents. These wheels don't fail, period.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The "2.0" connotation by MAD is misleading, as can be expected from marketing hype.

Their meaning of "2.0" means its a revised standard wheel. In other words, the standard spoked wheel as we've known for the past generations has been superseded by some new magical wheel that is surely all things to all people.

If you have to have deep dish for whatever reason, my advice is to buy the 9000 C50 clincher wheels. You will have more value for your money than with any other hip carbon wheel. And best of all, you need not ever worry about braking, in wet weather or on 5000' descents. These wheels don't fail, period.
Perhaps they won't, but if you look for something offering a lower weight Mad is surely among the lighter. Do you mean Mad supposedly will fail?

·
S-Works Tarmac SL3
827 Posts
Oh no, don't mean to say they will likely fail by any means. In fact the people I know that have then generally like them. And one is 220 lbs. I just struggle with the fact they cost about 2X more than the C50's. But everyone has their priorities so when light weight is it then MAD are interesting wheels indeed. I do like the fact they put a metal brake surface on it. To me that's one of the big positives on these wheels.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If I were going that route I'd prefer something like a HED tri spoke.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.