Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing how good it was, my wife and and I got the first disc of 'Mad Men' from netflix.

Watched the three episodes, looked at each other and said, "I don't get it" - just seems to subtle of drama I guess. Figured we'd move on to something else, but forgot so we ended up with disc two. It got a little better, but still not much... Not getting any more of it, I don't think.

So, am I missing something about this show? Does it actually pick up, or is it just very subtle drama that doesn't seem to pique my interest whatsoever?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
bopApocalypse said:
Does it actually pick up, or is it just very subtle drama that doesn't seem to pique my interest whatsoever?
It's a very subtle drama that doesn't seem to pique your interest whatsoever.

I think it's fantastic. I stumbled upon it when my wife was traveling, watched one episode, shared it with her and now we're both hooked.

The writing is excellent, the atmosphere is accurate and well executed and the stories are interesting. To us.

I think though that it helps to have lived through that era, to have an understanding of how these guys lives (Madison Ave. Men) were considered the peak of desireability at the time and to be able to relate to the various tensions, makes it what it is for us. I can't imagine my kids finding it interesting for example.

·
Grey Manrod
9,227 Posts
Here's the thread I started:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=162780

I finished the season a couple of weeks ago, and can't wait until season 2.

I would describe the show as having a smoldering intesity. The tensions build from episode to episode with a couple of pretty amazing revelations. Yes, the same themes are there that have become somewhat cliched, but it's definitely a fresh take.

I'd go on, but don't want to give away any spoilers. I'll leave you with this, though: think about Draper's line of work and the theme of identity.

·
Registered
417 Posts
terry b said:
It's a very subtle drama that doesn't seem to pique your interest whatsoever.

I think it's fantastic. I stumbled upon it when my wife was traveling, watched one episode, shared it with her and now we're both hooked.

The writing is excellent, the atmosphere is accurate and well executed and the stories are interesting. To us.

I think though that it helps to have lived through that era, to have an understanding of how these guys lives (Madison Ave. Men) were considered the peak of desireability at the time and to be able to relate to the various tensions, makes it what it is for us. I can't imagine my kids finding it interesting for example.
I agree and love Mad Men, in fact I can't wait to get home and watch the latest disk from netflix. I'm in the younger sub-30 crowd and think it is very interesting to see how society has changed, drinking and smoking mothers etc.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Tried to get into it and couldn't... wouldn't say it's not quality, though.

On the other hand, I'm only through the first 3-4 episodes but I enjoy "Trust Me".

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
19,723 Posts
terry b said:
+10 on all these but in addition, the set design, lighting, and cinematography are part of what totally blows me away.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
terry b said:
I think though that it helps to have lived through that era,...
I know a woman "of a certain age" who could not stand Mad Men because she lived through it.

I like the way the social roles box everyone in, and how they (mostly ineffectively) try to break beyond those boundaries. That is a slow build, for sure.

I did not live it, but I find Mad Men fascinating as a historical study. Some of the guys still living that were actual ad men on Madison avenue seem to think it rings true, I do know that. But I can see how people would not like it, for a variety of reasons including pace.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
dr hoo said:
I know a woman "of a certain age" who could not stand Mad Men because she lived through it.

I like the way the social roles box everyone in, and how they (mostly ineffectively) try to break beyond those boundaries. That is a slow build, for sure.

I did not live it, but I find Mad Men fascinating as a historical study. Some of the guys still living that were actual ad men on Madison avenue seem to think it rings true, I do know that. But I can see how people would not like it, for a variety of reasons including pace.
My mother was a young (and cute) junior editor/secretary at Random House during this period. Manhattan office. She describes Mad Men as documentary.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
dr hoo said:
My mother was an executive secretary at that time and I remember her coming home stressed and exlosive over some treatment she'd received. Something that today would get any man fired in a corporate environment.

Being single, she ran with a crowd of people depicted just like those in the shows - slick suits, thin ties, buzz cuts, puffed up hair and tight dresses, everyone one of them wanting to be John Glenn or Marilyn Monroe. Drinking, smoking, it was all part of the scene. And heaven was the big house in the suburbs and riding the train to work. The accuracy in their production rings true to my recollections, at least those of an 8-10 year old seeing what he saw.

Revolutionary Road is another recent example, much deeper and much darker.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
This video explains it all:

<div style="text-align:left;font-size:x-small;margin-top:0;width:480px;"><a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/477f3b6bc5/between-two-ferns-with-zach-galifianakis-from-between-two-ferns-comedy-deathray-and-zach-galifianakis" title="from Between Two Ferns, Comedy Deathray, Zach Galifianakis, and Jon Hamm">Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis </a> from <a href="http://www.funnyordie.com/between_two_ferns">Between Two Ferns</a></div>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.