Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's have a thread for some bikes current and vintage we know, that are Canadian.

This could be Miele, CCM, BRC, Steve Bauer, Argon, etc...

From my youth... Miele (I always wanted a Miele, then my best friend got one, a-hole)
View attachment 278049

I had a Talisman, which was pretty awesome for a 16 year old (mine was just like this one, but green and without the stupid seat, and stolen from my house):
View attachment 278050 View attachment 278051
I really wanted a Bauer, but couldn't afford it on a 16-year-old's salary.

After that, I had a BRC mountain bike (black, could have been this model, also stolen from high school):
View attachment 278052

I might have had a Supercycle, never had a CCM, but more recently lusted over an Argon (should have picked that up), or an Opus
View attachment 278053

I hear DeVinci are good... please post more, new and old too!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
My 1991 Miele is still being ridden around Toronto, now by my son.

Guess we should be seeing some Marinoni, and True North bikes here.

Nothing against Opus, in fact I think they're excellent value, but they are about as Canadian as Pinarello is Italian :D

·
Daniel007
21 Posts
Here are the one I know:

Marinoni..............made in Mascouche QC
GURU..................made in Laval QC
DeVinci................made in Saguenay QC
Cervelo...............made in Toronto ON
Raleigh...............made in Waterloo QC

Prettty sure i'm missing a few......

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember that the Raleigh factory in Montreal is ceasing production (well, assembly) of bikes, but don't you notice that almost all the brands from the past even 25 years are in Montreal? How did that happen?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Back in the early 90s I had a couple of custom frames built by Tamarack Cycles in Halifax. Still have one of them currently stripped down to frame/fork/hs but hoping to rebuild with modern parts someday.

Tamarack was always a small shop, started up by Mark Beaver and Makl Thomson in the late 80s. They had half of a little brick building down near the Halifax container pier. Mark carried on for a number of years, but now as a co-owner of Cyclesmith in Halifax, doesn't have any time for the framebuilding biz.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here are the one I know:

Marinoni..............made in Mascouche QC
GURU..................made in Laval QC
DeVinci................made in Saguenay QC
Cervelo...............made in Toronto ON
Raleigh...............made in Waterloo QC

Prettty sure i'm missing a few......

There is an important difference between where a company says it's registered office is, and where it makes the bikes.

As an example, apart from an occassional test frame Cervelo never made anything in Toronto ( and by the way - Cervelo was sold to a dutch company two years ago).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the Canadian-based companies a lot, and was hoping for some fancy Cervelos and Argons, but was looking for something that used to be, or still is, made here. I guess we have to count Taiwan-made frames being assembled here as domestic product?

Whenever I go to Ottawa I see a lot of DeVincis and some Marinoni as well (also quite a lot of Motobecanes, since it's not far from the border). All the rent-a-bike places had DeVincis.

Were Steve Bauer bikes good bikes?

·
9,790 Posts
I have a 1999 Rocky Mountain Vertex. It makes me sad that Rockys aren't made in Canada now.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
The one I've kicked myself many times for not getting was a Lovell. Jocelyn was the perfect cyclist in his day and dominated Canadian cycling so much that one year he won all the gold medals at the national championships - from the sprint to the road race. He won silver at the world championships Kilo too. He built frames in Toronto for a while before being reduced to a quadriplegic when he was run over by a dump truck when out training. He sold his frame business to Mike Mulholland who re-named it Cyclops.

But the nicest Canadian frame I ever saw was this Marinoni. I've owned a few of them but nothing as nice as this one. When I saw this I asked them if they would build another one as they had gone Tig in recent years. Their reply was "No. It's Tig only". What a damn shame. After I found this pic on the 'net I saw its brother hanging up at out local indoor velodrome - exactly the same only a track frame. I didn't know who owned it (and neither did anyone else) or I would have paid the guy whatever he asked. Everything has its price.

View attachment 278330 .

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Back when I was buying that Talisman, there were Gardin in the shop. Gardins were good bikes, iirc. (edit - just a little more expensive than that Talisman, just out of my $325 price range)

Louis Garneau seems to make some good bikes. I could outfit my self head to toe in helmet, jersey, shorts, leg warmers, arm warmers, shells, sunglasses, socks, shoes, and bike, all LG.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Joe Gardin's frames had mixed reviews, sometimes he used cast lugs marked "Guerciotti" if I recall. He must have got a job lot from Italy when he ordered his tube sets. I guess he did some high-end custom work, but a lot of the later production frames apparently weren't so great.

Aquila was another Toronto-based bike/framebuilder, whose products were not always well received. They did market Titanium frames though I'm not sure if they actually made them.

Cyclops made by Mark Mulholland as mentioned above, I think these were mostly custom builds, I never heard any complaints about cheap-and-nasty brazing like the other two.

Another Toronto outfit that sent out a lot of flyers in the mail back in the 90s was called "Thin Blue Line" and they marketed bikes with that name. Pretty affordable, seemed like good value though. They also sold Cervelo frames back in the early days of White and Vrooman's product line.

Also the distributor, Cycles Lambert, I seem to recall they had a frame branded under their name. Back in the 80s or so. But this may just be labelling.

Last but definitely not least were the Mariposa frames made by Mike Barry Sr (father of the recently retired pro racer, also Mike), now retired. Those were also made famous by the Canadian artist Greg Curnoe (1936-92), who rode with the London Centennial Wheelers bike club. Curnoe made paintings of the custom Mariposa bikes that he bought from Mr. Barry, these were quite well known in the 70s Canadian art scene. I remember one painting where he made annotations about where each part of his bike was made. Curnoe was killed when a car crashed into a group ride, the driver was diagnosed as having some mental disorder. That was a loss for Canadian cycling and Canadian art.

Can't think of any others not already mentioned.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Caveat about Gardin frames, some of what I say could have been the opinion of my (ex) framebuilder friend Mr. Beaver (Tamarack) who like many in the business has an opinion about everything! But I did wrench for a few years myself (Trail Shop Halifax while they sold bikes, then briefly at Cyclesmith) and recall seeing some sketchy made-up-for cheap deals with low-end Gardin frames, and Shimano Exage or similar parts, along with unbranded bits that were just too cheap to sell. I think that's where I noticed that the BB shells were stamped "Guerciotti". The shop got two or three of them, possibly at the time Mr. Gardin was going out of business, maybe those were made by an assistant training on the job.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Aquila was another Toronto-based bike/framebuilder, whose products were not always well received. They did market Titanium frames though I'm not sure if they actually made them.
Aquila is not a framebuilder, and never has been to my knowledge.

It is the "Store brand" of Racer Sportiv. They import frames from Taiwan, China, Russia etc and put stickers on. Their Ti frames were Russian, I had one. It broke.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.