Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
Scott is a Taiwanese Giant! Giant does a lot of the R&D and fabrication. They may be manufactured by Giant in a factory in China. All of the Giant stores carry Scott. I guess for the sake of giving Taiwanese a gold star for excellence... it is surprising how few people can actually tell... in a Pepsi challenge sort of way. Ilha Formosa is the home to good bikes. There are actually a few home grown steel road bike companies that make a great custom frame. My Taiwanese builder is working on a steel frame design he hopes to develop and sell as a custom in the spirit of Uncle Ernesto.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dajianshan said:
Scott is a Taiwanese Giant! Giant does a lot of the R&D and fabrication. They may be manufactured by Giant in a factory in China. All of the Giant stores carry Scott. I guess for the sake of giving Taiwanese a gold star for excellence... it is surprising how few people can actually tell... in a Pepsi challenge sort of way. Ilha Formosa is the home to good bikes. There are actually a few home grown steel road bike companies that make a great custom frame. My Taiwanese builder is working on a steel frame design he hopes to develop and sell as a custom in the spirit of Uncle Ernesto.
So it's true that Scott is made in Taiwan,
But Giant is made in Taiwan too, they're based in Taiwan, and Giant is the largest bicycle manufacture in the word, many European vendor create their bikes in it...

I guess it's related with cost and bussiness competition, since it's expensive to develope a bike in Europe...tax,labour, and material..

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I have a 1988 Bianchi Premio that was made in Japan...This is nothing new
as was my 1984 trek..........but it was painted and assembled in the US......with all Japanese parts (except the paint (dupont imron))

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
A little history.
25 years ago all of Bianchi's products were made in Italy. The main Bianchi factory made all of the mid and low line bikes, and the small "racing department" made all the "good" bikes. As cost increased, some of the mid line bikes started to be produced in Japan, and eventually other areas. Eventually, the low line bikes started to be made over seas, also.
The only thing left in Italy, is the "racing department", and corporate headquarters.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Dajianshan said:
Scott is a Taiwanese Giant! Giant does a lot of the R&D and fabrication. They may be manufactured by Giant in a factory in China.
As far as aluminum frames maybe. SCOTT Addict, CR, Scale, Ransom and Spark CF frames are made in China in the same factory as Cervelo. I forgot the name, but it's NOT owned by GIANT.

SCOTT does their OWN R&D, but has frames built in Taiwan and China.

EDIT: Scott Carbon/Cervelo is done by Ten-Tech. They are based out of Taiwan but most manufacturing is done in China at their new plant.

Also, It's a matter of semantics but "GIANT Proper" doesn't even manufacture Giant composite bikes, their composites side split off and became C-Tech and it appears they do very little other than Giant stuff although they will be producing Colnago's soon.

Only LOOK, TREK and GIant acutally own thier CF plants. LOOK and GIANT make thier own CF Pre-Peg

·
Registered
8,000 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
A) I want to an in-depth record of production facility location, individual names,
criminal background checks and mining location for all raw materials and each
and every component on every bicycle I own.
B) The instrument has not been invented that can measure my indifference to
the above.
You pick.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
I always love the every other day 'OMG bike brand X is made in Asia'.
Its funny, Europe makes a lot of bikes, but they are all department store Huffy type bikes. All the high end bike production shifted to the far east years ago. Taiwan and now some Chinese factories produce bicycles of the highest quality. A bicycle made in Asia is nothing to be afraid of.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
ultimobici said:
In fact only Giant & Time make their own carbon. Everyone else buys in tube or sheets of prepreg.
I heard TREK makes thier OVLC carbon.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.