Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an almost completely Italian bike build (Fondriest,Selcof,Campy,Selle Italia,etc). My next project is to put together a race ready bike made from parts manufactured in America by an American owned company. I've got some ideas in my head, but haven't looked into where they are actually made (Topolino wheels,Thompson stem/post,SRAM drive train when it's released,etc). First things first...frame and fork. I've been looking at the Trek Madones and the Cannondale 6-13. I love the Scott CF1 because of the way you can see the large carbon fiber weaves (like the Wilier Le-Roi) but the frame is made in Taiwan even though the company is called ScottUSA. A race worthy Ti (or combo) is good as well. Small "back wood" companies can be mentioned if they put out a race worthy quality product. So...Let's see what the "Good 'Ol USA" can offer one of her patriotic sons...:D

P.S.-Please feel free to recommend components as well. Thanks!

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
kyler2001 said:
I'm living in Europe for a bit and have an almost completely Italian bike build (Fondriest,Selcof,Campy,Selle Italia,etc). My next project is to put together a race ready bike made from parts manufactured in America by an American owned company. I've got some ideas in my head, but haven't looked into where they are actually made (Topolino wheels,Thompson stem/post,SRAM drive train when it's released,etc). First things first...frame and fork. I've been looking at the Trek Madones and the Cannondale 6-13. I love the Scott CF1 because of the way you can see the large carbon fiber weaves (like the Wilier Le-Roi) but the frame is made in Taiwan even though the company is called ScottUSA. A race worthy Ti (or combo) is good as well. Small "back wood" companies can be mentioned if they put out a race worthy quality product. So...Let's see what the "Good 'Ol USA" can offer one of her patriotic sons...:D

P.S.-Please feel free to recommend components as well. Thanks!

Didn't anything today teach you about Twrek? ;)

If you really want top quality made in the USA consider a Parlee.

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ha Ha...Yeah... I considered today's "phenomenon", but all of the wins that the bike has brought riders through out the years can't be all that bad can it??? The Parlee looks promising at 820 grams (even if the name sounds Italian/French:) ).

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
SRAM is made in Taiwan...

so go SS :cool:.

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"SRAM is made in Taiwan... "

DOH...I wonder what else I'll have to compromise on? Tires perhaps?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Why buy an off-the-shelf bike? It seems like the more patriotic thing to do is support the little guy - American know-how, ingenuity, and the Protestant work ethic - and go custom. There are tons of builders that will build you a better bike than C-Dale could even dream of, and most can even use American tubesets.

Everything on my Dean is either American or Italian made...except the fork, which is about to get replaced with either local lugged steel or a Wound Up, or a Reynolds as a last resort.

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SDizzle said:
Why buy an off-the-shelf bike?
Any maker would be fine big or small. I actually did say "Small "back wood" companies can be mentioned if they put out a race worthy quality product." I only ruled out non-US makers. I'm just looking for names at the moment, then research the product and make a final choice. Sending my specs to a builder would not be a problem though...Thanks for the Dean lead.

P.S.- I have a freind with the Wound Up on his Merlin Extralite and he loves it.

·
MING
419 Posts
I think you know what headset youre going with then. The fine people at chris king make their stuff in portland, have a great company mantra and are usa through and through.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I seriously doubt you could get something completely USA made. What about shifters? Tires? Rims? BOLTS? Pedals? Derailleurs, chain, etc? Pretty much, I think just the frame, saddle, bars, post, hubs, stem, and fork you can get....

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kreger said:
I think you know what headset youre going with then. The fine people at chris king make their stuff in portland, have a great company mantra and are usa through and through.
But of course...CK all the way.

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
moose8500 said:
I seriously doubt you could get something completely USA made. What about shifters? Tires? Rims? BOLTS? Pedals? Derailleurs, chain, etc? Pretty much, I think just the frame, saddle, bars, post, hubs, stem, and fork you can get....
I think your right. For the drive-train, I pretty much found this out when my SRAM bubble was busted. Although there might be some US companies that you or I haven't heard of that produce components (tires,pedals,etc).

Can somebody clear up Topolino and American Classics for me?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Nope...

American Classic = Taiwan
FSA = Taiwan
ControlTech USA = Taiwan

Easton = Not usre where there wheels are made. Again probaly Taiwan.

Why don't you make a Taiwanse/Far East/Indoneisa Bike :p.
It might be alot easier. Or just use American Company names.

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DIRT BOY said:
Double DOH!!! Not looking good for the home team:(

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DIRT BOY said:
FSA = Taiwan
ControlTech USA = Taiwan

Easton = Not usre where there wheels are made. Again probaly Taiwan.

Why don't you make a Taiwanse/Far East/Indoneisa Bike :p.
It might be alot easier. Or just use American Company names.
WTHeck over? I guess I expected to much from a country that really hasn't given cycling that much attention untill the Lance explosion..:mad: Out-sourcing is our moto perhpas!

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
Someone posts a thread like this every few months assuming that it's possible to build a bike out of components manufactured in the USA. That person's ignorance is always given a hard dose of reality, violently uprooting his or her naive world view.

The question is, was it ever possible to build an all-American bike, down to the derailleurs, bar tape, bolts, etc? Probably not.

The other question must be, why bother? What is so great about "Made in the USA" anyway? Why not go for "Made in Italy" or "Made in France," where cycling as we know it was developed and nurtured?

Not being an American, perhaps I simply don't understand the concept.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
kyler2001 said:
WTHeck over? I guess I expected to much from a country that really hasn't given cycling that much attention untill the Lance explosion..:mad: Out-sourcing is our moto perhpas!
For frames, you've got a huge selection. Mine are Calfee, Co-Motion and Tallerico (small custom builder in SF Bay Area).
Calfee can also do a combo stem-handlebar in carbon
Phil Wood BB and hubs are top of the line.
White Industries has excellent components
Zero-gravity is USA made I think
Zinn makes some custom components for tall folks.
For drivetrain you may have to compromise or pretend that Campy is made in Vicenza, N. Dakota.

·
Registered
303 Posts
the concept is we are American and if our products are at par, then we would prefer to support our own and keep the money in the states.

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
HBPUNK said:
the concept is we are American and if our products are at par, then we would prefer to support our own and keep the money in the states.

Thanks for the explanation, though I had that part figured out ages ago. What I don't understand is why it's so important. But then again, I've never understood protectionist economics. There will never be a time when a country is completely self-sufficient in all areas. You'll always have to import something, whatever that something may be.

The reality of bicycles is that the constituent parts, excepting the frames, have almost always been foreign.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
The The said:
Thanks for the explanation, though I had that part figured out ages ago. What I don't understand is why it's so important. But then again, I've never understood protectionist economics. There will never be a time when a country is completely self-sufficient in all areas. You'll always have to import something, whatever that something may be.

The reality of bicycles is that the constituent parts, excepting the frames, have almost always been foreign.
I don't understand the protectionist idea, either. I mean, for example, I always thought that Harley-Davidsons were kack, but when they got a gimme from the government to protect their flagging business from those mean Japanese....well, I completely wrote them off.

What you don't understand is that the prevailing notion in the USofbyGodA is that apparently what we think is best for us IS best for the rest of the world. After satisfying that condition, then other countries are free to pursue their petty needs and wonts.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts