Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all;

I tried to search as i suspect this has been brought up before, so if it has point me the right direction and I;ll shut up. Otherwise here goes:

My wife wants a new bicycle, she wants one that is made in the USA. AFAIK only Treks Madrone 6 and 5 are still made in america. Cannondale perhaps has a few CAAD9 left that carry a made in USA badge. Outside these two brands are there any others?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Aegis, Seven, Merlin, Moots, Independent Fabrication, Parlee (some models), Lynsky.....quite a few other custom makers.
The price tag might change her mind.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Of course, that's all just talking about the frameset. You'll have to get serious if you want as many components as possible that were made in the US - and even then not all of them will be...

·
Weed
1,037 Posts
Hank Stamper said:
Aegis, Seven, Merlin, Moots, Independent Fabrication, Parlee (some models), Lynsky.....quite a few other custom makers.
The price tag might change her mind.
Aegis doesn't exist anymore. Neither does my lifetime warranty!

·
Registered
359 Posts
The Madone 5 is not, production was switched to China and only the 6 is currently still being made in the U.S. However you might still be able to find one.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Look at going custom if she doesn't mind metal. There are some custom carbon guys out there also, but the carbon tubes may be imported (same with the metal probably), but at least the $$ would go to the U.S. frame builder.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
OOOOooooooooooooooooooo Lynsky. One of the shops here has a nice Lynsky frame sitting in it. They've had it hanging on the wall for years. Not sure how many but I'd at least 3. It had a nice coating of dust the last time I saw it. Probably haven't sold it because A. it's not carbon and B. it doesn't have Trek, Cannondale or Specialized written all over it. Unfortunately I'm unemployed or I would check into the size.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Didn't I read here that Cannondale also dumped all frame production to the east?
Getting stuff built offshore is sure good to the corporate pocketbook short-term. Too bad todays business 'leaders' can't see past the next quarter. If they could they might just wonder where their customers will be coming from and, more importantly, who is gonna make up the tax base for the American jobs they shipped off-shore.

·
Registered
108 Posts
moostapha said:
All of the Cannondales I've seen say "proudly made in the USA" on them…they're also awesome.
Mine was made in the U.S.A.
That was then though and it could very well be different now if what I read is true.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: Cannondale USA

If my mind serves me correctly, Cannondale pulled their last USA made bikes overseas last year. So while the company is here in the USA, the frames are made overseas. I might be wrong, so please correct me if I am. I'm also too lazy to look that up myself right now.

Trek 6 Series Madone's are still made in the USA. So is the 6 Series SSL frame, which I happen to have and absolutely love it! It's so responsive and light.

Trek 5 Series Madone's for 2011 are made overseas. The 2010 model was still made in the USA.

Trek 4 Series Madone's are made overseas.

Hope this helps.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
TrekBikeRider said:
If my mind serves me correctly, Cannondale pulled their last USA made bikes overseas last year. So while the company is here in the USA, the frames are made overseas. I might be wrong, so please correct me if I am. I'm also too lazy to look that up myself right now.
Pretty sure you're right. Vote #3 for a Gunnar... Handbuilt wheels with Chris King hubs, add one of their headsets and a Thomson stem and seat post.

·
huvia ja hyötyä
572 Posts
And then you go looking for a Made in USA drivetrain...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
moostapha said:
All of the Cannondales I've seen say "proudly made in the USA" on them…they're also awesome.
you must not have seen that many cannondales, or any of the new ones for 2011

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
perttime said:
And then you go looking for a Made in USA drivetrain...
A few things. Cannondale has ended all American production. They were bought by Dorel Industries, a big Canadian holding company that owns Pacific, the "big box" sporting goods company that owns the Schwinn, GT, and Mongoose "names" among others. They've already laid off about half the employees.

So, strictly speaking, Cannondale no longer is even an American company.

Yep, only the Madone 6 series is American made anymore, although the upper end new Speed Concept TT/Tri bikes are made in Wisconsin. A few select top end MTB's are also made there. Look for the "OCLV" label. Imports are "TCT."

And while there's pretty much bupkis in American made components - Phill Wood, Chris King, etc. being notable exceptions - Sram, as opposed to Shimano (Japan) and Campy (Italy) is at least an American owned company although virtually all their production is from Asia.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts