Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Trek cross for the last 5 years that I have used for doing lots of century rides and all weekend bike trips. I had put racing wheelsets and Ultegras on it awhile back. Now I am in the market for a new carbon frame road bike. A couple of people have pointed me to the Madone 4.7. I have tried it and really liked the ride. But for the sake of change, I am open to trying/purchasing other brands. Any suggestions?
Again, this would be for long rides with nice climbs outside of the NYC area on the weekends and for weekeday rides in NYC after work (greenways and some streets). So comfort is important, but I do want some good performance/response out of it. I would like to keep it under 3 Gs.
Thanks in Advance

· Registered
1,158 Posts
You have a lot to choose from. The comfort oriented road bikes that you might consider would be the Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse, Cervelo RS, or Trek Pilot. I also like the LeMond carbon bikes, if you can find one.

But at your price range you might also consider custom steel. Although some builders are quite expensive, others can be quite reasonable. For example, I think that Marinoni's price on a stock Columbus Spirit frame is about $1000 (with your choice of paint), but the geometry can be customized for another $200-$300.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
Something else. IMO the Madone 4.7 is overpriced at $2,800. I've ridden (and like) the 4.5 which is the same frameset and wheels, but is 105 equipped and lists for a little over $2,100. Of the two, that's the better deal. But there are a couple of good alternatives to that as well.

In the $2,000 range you can choose from the Specilized Roubaix and Tarmac Elite - both on a par with the 4.5, and IMO have better framesets. At $2,400 you move up to the Comp models (same framesets, upgraded wheels/ components) and at around $3,000 there are the Experts (full Ultegra/ upgraded wheelsets) - again, better choices than the Trek 4.7, IMO of course. But check out the specs for yourself.

But what really matter most is fit. Ride these and any others that interest you, and decide based on fit, ride, handling, comfort - in your order of priority.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.