Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone with knowledge on both. Desire is for a very stiff race bike for crits and ~60 mile hilly road races. Don't want/need a comfy century bike, just a pure race bike that is very stiff. The bike will be built with SRAM Force. I'm coming off a Kuota Kebel that broke in half in 3 places when a lady in a SUV rolled through a stop sign and used her rear passenger window to bring me to a sudden stop. I really liked the bike, but it did lack a bit in the stiffness department. Have some time to shop while healing takes place.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Madone Pro or a Performance fit? What size frame in R3 and Madone?
Madone has a very different geometry to R3. In 54cm (for example) the Madone has 74.2 degree STA, very steep, IMO. Suits people who like to sit relatively forward. Lance was one such rider. The R3 in all sizes has 73 degree STA which is more relaxed, when it comes to off-the-shelf bicycles. So it depends where you like to sit. Forward? Madone. Back? Cervelo R3. Also, in Pro-Fit Madone has a short head tube, shorter than R3 in same size. This will affect your saddle to bar drop. In Madone Performance fit the head tube height should be no problem but then you can also consider Cervelo RS, in this case.
You can always use a set-back post (or inline post) to slide your saddle fore/aft but this will affect reach and weight distribution. Let your body decide what fits you best. In new Madone due to integrated seatpost your setback options are limited. In Cervelo R3 or RS with traditional seatpost you have more seatpost choices (RS has 27.2mm post, most common size, R3 uses 32.4mm post, less common but still better than Madone setback post options). Good Luck.

·
Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
I just picked up an R3. Built her up with red. (15lb) Look for my posts about inital rides on her in the sram forum and cervelo forum. The R3 is very stiff out of the saddle, yet very comfy over long rides. If you go to cervelo.com there is a bunch of videos on the tech of the R3. Very stiff BB aera and chain stays, With minimal seat stays to help soften the ride. I'm extremely happy with her.
Bryan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
acid_rider said:
Madone Pro or a Performance fit? What size frame in R3 and Madone?
Madone has a very different geometry to R3. In 54cm (for example) the Madone has 74.2 degree STA, very steep, IMO. Suits people who like to sit relatively forward. Lance was one such rider. The R3 in all sizes has 73 degree STA which is more relaxed, when it comes to off-the-shelf bicycles. So it depends where you like to sit. Forward? Madone. Back? Cervelo R3. Also, in Pro-Fit Madone has a short head tube, shorter than R3 in same size. This will affect your saddle to bar drop. In Madone Performance fit the head tube height should be no problem but then you can also consider Cervelo RS, in this case.
You can always use a set-back post (or inline post) to slide your saddle fore/aft but this will affect reach and weight distribution. Let your body decide what fits you best. In new Madone due to integrated seatpost your setback options are limited. In Cervelo R3 or RS with traditional seatpost you have more seatpost choices (RS has 27.2mm post, most common size, R3 uses 32.4mm post, less common but still better than Madone setback post options). Good Luck.
Thanks and great input. I'm 5' 11", 160lbs and generally can fit on a 56. I prefer to sit somewhat back and have been leaning more towards the R3. I agree, I think it has more options for positioning. My Kuota had a STA of 73 as well, and it fit nicely. I prefer hilly road races over crits since my sprint leaves something to be desired, but there tends to be more crits than road races here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.