Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dirty little secret

The fork on my 5500 broke. It was a 96 with alot of miles on it. Thank God I had a helmet on. The letter I got from Trek last week made me think that I settled too soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Race X Lite or Race XXX Lite

I took delivery of a 2006 5.2 SL yesterday. When I went to the LBS to look it over the dealer and I noticed it had a Race XXX Lite fork. The specs on the web page shows a Race X Lite fork. Has there been a problem with the XXX Lite fork that prompted Trek to quit using this fork? Whats the deal?

Rode about 30 miles today and this bike met or exceeded all of my expectations. Not a blemish anywhere in the paint or clearcoat.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
My '05 5.2SL came with an XXX lite fork. I had problems with the paint cracking at the joint where the crown meets the fork arms. Trek and LBS said that this is normal (paint chipping near joints on both frame and fork) and will get worse the more you use it. Completely unacceptable for a high end frame and fork.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
t1m4d said:
The fork on my 5500 broke. It was a 96 with alot of miles on it. Thank God I had a helmet on. The letter I got from Trek last week made me think that I settled too soon.

Please give me more detail about your accident. conditions, speed, terrain, exactly where
the fork was broken, how many pieces, Injuries sustained etc. Any thing willl be helpful. I have a madone 5.2. I am trying to find out as much as possible and will explain more after reading your reply. Yours is not the only failure that has occured.!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
mbershaw said:
Please give me more detail about your accident. conditions, speed, terrain, exactly where
the fork was broken, how many pieces, Injuries sustained etc. Any thing willl be helpful. I have a madone 5.2. I am trying to find out as much as possible and will explain more after reading your reply. Yours is not the only failure that has occured.!

Tell me this won't be going through the back of my mind everytime I ride. Me, an '05 Madone 5.2 SL with Bonty Race XXX Lite fork.

Is it time to replace with a Reynolds fork?

And I agree with the comment: that a high end frame/fork like this should not be having paint-clear coat issues.

peace
zac

·
Registered
727 Posts
guys guys guys, don't be lame. i work at a trek dealer, we've sold tons of madones, i am waiting for a 5.2 sl myself, and i have never heard of or seen any problems with the fork. any given fork CAN snap-it has more to do with the owner doing stupid things in most cases, and sometimes (very, very rarely) you get a lemon. this is no more likely in a trek fork.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
cmatcan said:
guys guys guys, don't be lame. i work at a trek dealer, we've sold tons of madones, i am waiting for a 5.2 sl myself, and i have never heard of or seen any problems with the fork. any given fork CAN snap-it has more to do with the owner doing stupid things in most cases, and sometimes (very, very rarely) you get a lemon. this is no more likely in a trek fork.
Why would Trek say that it was normal (paint cracking near joints)? And the LBS also said that I was the second customer who's had that issue. The first one was a 5200 frame and was having problems with paint near the headtube/toptube area. This LBS is one of the largest Trek dealers in my area: www.jaxbicycles.com
I personally called Trek customer service and I was told that this is a normal occurence. A Trek rep came to check out my fork at the LBS and also said that it was normal. I have never crashed this frame and I have never done any stupid things either :rolleyes: So they lied to me?

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
cmatcan said:
i'm not seeing how they lied to you. they told you it was normal-guess what, it's normal! thats honesty if anything.
That is not the point. You said that problems with forks most of time are caused by owners doing stupid things..It sounded like you have never heard of paint issues with OCLV's (forks/frames) although you have stated that you are currently working for a Trek dealer. Your post sounded like you don't think that these issues are normal. So I responded to your post and I shared my experience with Trek saying that these issues are normal and obviously not caused by stupid owners doing stupid things to their forks.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I think the thread is getting murky. The discussion started with the word "failure," which I take to mean shatter, come apart, snap - throwing the rider to the ground with potentially serious consequences.

Then someone attached to that the issue of paint cracking - an entirely separate thing. That's not a fork "failure" in my book. Annoying, frustrating, cause for complaint, yes. But nothing's shattering or snapping, and no one gets hurt from a paint crack.

The two issues should be separated, IMHO.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
Yes, I agree. I just thought that sharing my experience would be helpful in some way since someone pointed out Trek's notice on paint/clearcoat cracks on their website. Sorry for the hijack..

·
Registered
51 Posts
can happen, rare.

I manage a TREK dealership that is top 20 in the country in OCLV sales. The bottom line is it is possible for cosmetic issues to occur where the carbon fork meets the aluminum dropout, or any area where the carbon and aluminum are joined. Key word here is cosmetic. I think what the dealer and TREK rep were trying to do is ease your concerns about potential failure, and assure that the cracks or chips are merely cosmetic. That being said, your bike finish is covered for 1 year, therefore if you want it repainted, you should be entitled.

wim said:
I think the thread is getting murky. The discussion started with the word "failure," which I take to mean shatter, come apart, snap - throwing the rider to the ground with potentially serious consequences.

Then someone attached to that the issue of paint cracking - an entirely separate thing. That's not a fork "failure" in my book. Annoying, frustrating, cause for complaint, yes. But nothing's shattering or snapping, and no one gets hurt from a paint crack.

The two issues should be separated, IMHO.

·
Registered
51 Posts
your missing the point of the letter

t1m4d said:
TREK sent those letters out not because there are issues with their products, but because people need to be aware of the nature of carbon fiber. It doesn't bend when it fails, it fails catastrophically. They simply want people to inspect there bicycles after a crash or occasionally after to a ride to ensure the bike doesn't have any damage. This goes for ALL carbon fiber not just TREK and quite frankly is common sense. But we often see people who expect to their chains to last forever, simply because they aren't educated about drivetrains....I think TREK is just trying to educate people on the nature of the material the bike is made with in general......

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
3465mike said:
TREK sent those letters out not because there are issues with their products, but because people need to be aware of the nature of carbon fiber. It doesn't bend when it fails, it fails catastrophically. They simply want people to inspect there bicycles after a crash or occasionally after to a ride to ensure the bike doesn't have any damage. This goes for ALL carbon fiber not just TREK and quite frankly is common sense. But we often see people who expect to their chains to last forever, simply because they aren't educated about drivetrains....I think TREK is just trying to educate people on the nature of the material the bike is made with in general......
Yes, Trek sent that notice to remind people to check their frames periodically for visible cracks especially after a crash. I didn't miss the point. I simply said that my 8 month old fork (never crashed) and some other guys OCLV frame (less than a year old) in my area mysteriously had cracks in the paint near joints. I believe that this is unacceptable for "normal wear and tear". So I was told by Trek that this is normal wear and tear. I am not whining about it, I'm simply sharing my experience. I doesn't mean it will happen to all OCLV's although this is normal according to Trek.
If I knew this beforehand, I wouldn't have gotten an OCLV.

·
Registered
51 Posts
stihl said:
Yes, Trek sent that notice to remind people to check their frames periodically for visible cracks especially after a crash. I didn't miss the point. I simply said that my 8 month old fork (never crashed) and some other guys OCLV frame (less than a year old) in my area mysteriously had cracks in the paint near joints. I believe that this is unacceptable for "normal wear and tear". So I was told by Trek that this is normal wear and tear. I am not whining about it, I'm simply sharing my experience. I doesn't mean it will happen to all OCLV's although this is normal according to Trek.
If I knew this beforehand, I wouldn't have gotten an OCLV.
ok, ok....i got ya...But.......like I said in a previous post, these cracks are rare, however if you get them your paint is covered by a 1 year warranty. Regarding not buying the oclv....my friend, TRUST me.....incidental paint cracks are no reason to not (and I'm sure there will be many posts about this comment) ride or own the best made and riding carbon bike in the world...the attention to detail that goes into the manufacturing process is insane! I've had the the chance to tour the OCLV facility in Wisconsin...trust me when I say these bike are meticulously made..I understand your point that the finish should be flawless for the price...A few facts.all non Trek carbon bikes..from Ridley to Calnago are made in one of 3 asian factories.....and none of them use the OCLV process....Don't believe me?? email manufacturers and ask them where there carbon bikes are made...the only exception I know of is Calfee. which up to now hasn't even been patented to prevent others from seeing how it's done.....you made a wise choice.....do yourself a favor, and have them repaint your frame.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
A few facts.all non Trek carbon bikes..from Ridley to Calnago are made in one of 3 asian factories.....and none of them use the OCLV process
In all fairness, it should also be said that Trek now advertises a road bike built with a so-called TCT carbon frame (5000), and other road bikes with TCT carbon seat stays (2200, 2100). I'm not sure where these TCT frames and stays will be made, but I don't believe it'll be the OCLV facility in Wisconsin.

I don't know if any TCT bikes have shown up in bike stores, or if they ever will. One inquiry on this forum about TCT netted the response "mistake on the Trek website" from someone who seemed closer to the inner workings of Trek than I am.

This is no slam on TCT carbon. It just seems that the equation Trek carbon = OCLV might have to be reformulated a bit. Then again, perhaps TCT is all just a "mistake on the Trek website."

·
Registered
727 Posts
cosmetic scratches aren't failures
trek carbon is most likely just as safe as any other company's road offerings
fork failures are rare and require ALOT of bad luck
Thread hi-jacking is troll behavior
If you don't have the details or exact facts about supposed problems, it is best to deal with your dealer or trek rep. Starting threads complaining about rumors is a waste of everybody's time. This will be my last post for this thread.

·
pinoy thunder
341 Posts
cmatcan said:
cosmetic scratches aren't failures
trek carbon is most likely just as safe as any other company's road offerings
fork failures are rare and require ALOT of bad luck
Thread hi-jacking is troll behavior
If you don't have the details or exact facts about supposed problems, it is best to deal with your dealer or trek rep. Starting threads complaining about rumors is a waste of everybody's time. This will be my last post for this thread.
Rumors? I just shared my own experience. :rolleyes:
I never said that paint chips result in fork failures.
I said that what happened to my fork is unacceptable, that's it.
I do have details and facts regarding the problem with my fork. Trek said that it was normal with the forks and frames. LBS and Trek checked out the fork, shipped it to Trek for repaint.
Yes, you are wasting my time arguing about your nonsense BS. I don't have time for this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts