Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently riding a Cannondale CADD5 R600 (105). I want to upgrade and start racing. I am looking at the Cannondale Six13 and Trek Madone. Obviously this forum will indorse the Madene. Should I get the Madone 5.5 (Dura-Ace) or Madone 5.2 (Ultegra)? Would my money be better spent on an additional set of racing wheels? Is a second set of wheels necesarry? Should I consider a Project One bike so I can custom select my components and wheels? Your input is appreciated.

For the Record. I am leaning toward the Trek. I love the look of the Carbon Frame.

·
Registered
102 Posts
project one will probably cost u more in the long run. If u have the money go for the best in the shimano line, DA. if money is an issue ultegra will do u just fine. i put 5000 plus miles on my first bike and it had ultegra. trek 2300. never had any problems with it. Ultegra does weight more. if u r doing crit races i would definetly recommend another wheel set. The shop where u get the bike should swap out stuff that u don't like/want. i have ridden trek's and they are good solid bikes. carbon will absorb road vibrations and carbon can be laid in a way to maximize strength in areas and have less material in other areas. haven't ridden any cannondale's so can't tell u anything about them. like u said this is the TREK area but i would definetly go with a trek or another carbon frame.

·
Registered
90 Posts
from R400 to Madone 5.2

I was in your shoes a year ago, and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I rode the Cdale for 3 years, then got a P1 Madone w/ custom component selection last year. I saved some dough by getting Ultegra10--DA is lighter but wears out faster and costs 2x more to replace parts. Would you rather pay $75 or $130 for a new cassette every six months?

If money's no object then get DA and the OCLV110 frame, otherwise the OCLV120 works fine, and Ultegra is just as fast as DA. I've raced my bike and been soundly beaten by guys on "lower end" or older equipment, which just goes to show that you can't buy victory, and the rider is more important than the bike.

Trek's customer service has been great. The rear hub was defective after 9 months and I got a new wheel for free, the shop gave me a loaner for the 2 weeks it took to rebuild. I couldn't be happier with the bike and the service I've gotten from Trek. Can't speak on the Six13, but I'm certainly enjoying the Madone.

·
Registered
215 Posts
When I looked into project one, it seemed to me that you paid quite a premium to select the components. I was a little irked that you paid the same price as for a naked, unpainted P1 as a fully painted and built Madone. There should be some cost differential there but even thought its a premium price, P1's are awesome.

As others have said, most shops will work with you on components. I swapped out the handlebars and switched from a triple to a double. If you want to race or you know that you'll get a lot miles, I would be tempted to opt for Dura Ace, although it does cost more to maintain. If you want to bring the price down, go for Ultegra.

Happy shopping!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.