Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I visited the LBS to test ride a Tarmac, Madone, and Roubaix. I never got to the test ride because they wanted me to bring my biking shoes and fit the bikes with pedals for my test ride; going back tomorrow.

So, the biggest surprise is this ... you all may already be aware. The Madone 5.2 is no more and has been replaced with the Madone 4.9. The bad part ... LBS Said this

Semi QUOTE guy was reading this: "Due to GAS prices Trek has degraded the components on the 2009 Madone 4.9 (was 5.2) and done away with the award winning seat post, down-graded the All Ultegra Component list to a Ultegra / 105 mix, and put a lesser grade set of tires on the bike WHILE adding 7% to the cost of the bike because gas is killing profit margins"

That is depressing because I was really interested in a Madone, but will not buy from a company that drops the quality of it's products AND raises it's prices at the same time. That is BS. :mad2:

So, I guess I'll be checking out a Cervello Soloist and a Specialized Tarmac.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rcnute said:
It's the economy, stupid.
I understand the economy is bad right now, but I'm really not stupid. IF I was, I'd buy the Madone even though they are doing bad business.

The cost of a can of soup is up .08 cents, but it's still the same quality and amount of soup, cost of a 2009 GMC Pickup is down and still the same quality truck, and let's see my contacts yesterday were $10.00 more than last year, BUT they are the same QUALITY!!!!

Trek's QUALITY in their product is going down while their price is going UP; that is not the economy it's taking advantage of your customers. The Tarmac hasn't changed in QUALITY for 2009 and it's the same price as last year!!

I am far from "stupid", but do believe people who are willing to put their head in the sand and not recognize bad business aren't too bright.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
g8keyper said:
Well, I visited the LBS to test ride a Tarmac, Madone, and Roubaix. I never got to the test ride because they wanted me to bring my biking shoes and fit the bikes with pedals for my test ride; going back tomorrow.

So, the biggest surprise is this ... you all may already be aware. The Madone 5.2 is no more and has been replaced with the Madone 4.9. The bad part ... LBS Said this

Semi QUOTE guy was reading this: "Due to GAS prices Trek has degraded the components on the 2009 Madone 4.9 (was 5.2) and done away with the award winning seat post, down-graded the All Ultegra Component list to a Ultegra / 105 mix, and put a lesser grade set of tires on the bike WHILE adding 7% to the cost of the bike because gas is killing profit margins"

That is depressing because I was really interested in a Madone, but will not buy from a company that drops the quality of it's products AND raises it's prices at the same time. That is BS. :mad2:

I'm not going to believe the 5.2 is 'no more'.

There maybe a new value 4.9 line, but ditching the 5.2 altogether doesn't make much sense.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know :( I was really into the 5.2 as well because a friend of mine let me borrow his on a ride last week. I enjoyed it, but honestly the didn't have anymore 5.2 and said the 4.9 is taking it's place.

Does anyone have an inside contact at Trek who can find out about this for 2009?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi there

Was to good to be true .I was going for a 5.5 next spring after reading reviews here the 5.2 was my choice (Thank you guys ) with a set of x lite wheel .Now if this is what going to happen for 2009 to get the same bike i want i will have to pay lot more . I guess i wont be riding a madonne next year but a Fondriest TF2.Too bad the Madonne was a good deal .

GGW

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
g8keyper said:

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on Trek. I say this because there are indications that several, if not all, manufacturers are downgrading their bikes because of several economic factors. For example, the '09 Tarmac Expert has already had a pre introduction and no longer uses AZ1 construction. It will now be the same construction as the lower end Tarmacs but with 8r monocoque construction. It's using the same mold as the SL2, but we all know once the castings are made and used for a period of time, continuing their use costs nothing. To me, this is but one example of what you'll see in '09. Felt has also indicated that there will be price increases.

Bottom line though, until specifics (and the bikes) make it into the LBS's, this is all hearsay, so IMO wait and see before reacting.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Well seeing that Trek hasn't released the info for their '09 line yet, and wont for another 3 weeks, and seeing that the 5.2 IS their hottest selling road bike, and seeing that it is really really frick'n expensive to retool, and seeing that they are finally just catching up to their back orders on the 5.2, I don't think Mr. Jeremy at Richardson Bike Mart has accurate information.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
g8keyper said:
I understand the economy is bad right now, but I'm really not stupid. IF I was, I'd buy the Madone even though they are doing bad business.

The cost of a can of soup is up .08 cents, but it's still the same quality and amount of soup, cost of a 2009 GMC Pickup is down and still the same quality truck, and let's see my contacts yesterday were $10.00 more than last year, BUT they are the same QUALITY!!!!
Thank again
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i8puexdqqL1MR3mRhcq5agpzAYsQ
Demand for truck is dropping hence the price drop
contacts weigh how much?
multiply that by a bikes weight and then see if you'd be prepared to pay up to $500 more for the same bike.

·
Banned
7,191 Posts
or, it could be that with the Madone line already bloated with the 5.1, 5.5, 6.5 and 6.9, they really didn't need the 5.2, or they wanted to introduce a lower spec model instead of having 2 models with almost identical spec fighting for sales.

As for costs going up, yup. The dollar's in the terlit, so fancy Japanese parts and asian-made frames are about to get more expensive. Expect 10-30% increases everywhere, not just at Trek.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Move up !!!

You post makes little sense to me. Prices on EVERYTHING are going up due to the higher cost of fuel and the devalued dollar.

If you want a Trek with Ultegra (no thanks) then move up the line. Trek probably has a price point that they like and the only way to keep the bike under that price is to use some lower cost parts.

I quit buying prebuilt bikes 16 years ago. I buy the frame I want and build the bike myself so I don't get stuck with anything I don't want.

·
a$$hole
372 Posts
That sucks...

I'm new to road with a long history of MTB and XC racing. I bought my first road bike 3 weeks ago at the local shop. They were having a 10% off everything in the store sale. They do this sale once a year every June. In any case, after reading a few cycling magazine articles that were foretelling price increases of 5-20% for 2009 model bicycles, I decided to go ahead and pick up a Specialized Tarmac Comp for...$1890. I couldn't be happier. Now that I'm seeing a few '09 model bikes rolling in, I'm really glad I went ahead and picked up my bike when I did.

Don't expect sales on the '08 stuff either. Even at MSRP the leftover '08's will likely be much cheaper than their '09 counterparts.

Just an observation from a road newbie, take it for what it's worth.

Chris

·
Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
It's not just bike manufacturers:

-The vending machines in my offices have gone up in price with less selection with a note
on the machine from the vendor that gas prices have forced an increase which must be
offset.

-A local distributor of a regional bread company is closing their Minneapolis/St. Paul
location due to gas prices and is no longer going to be available in the Twin Cities.
This was prominently displayed at our local market.

Apparently fuel prices are the cause for a lot of things going up.

But I think what's really the issue:

-Gas prices keep going up.
-Other prices for other things keep going up.

Do salaries keep pace with this? No.

And they wonder why the economy is in the toilet.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It's not just fuel, it's food costs (up 20-30%) and the cost of money. This is on an international scale. Add to that, the weak dollar, and the pinch in the US gets very tight. Everybody has to make more, or do with less. All companies are having to charge more to pass on costs, and as they do, their sales are dropping. Don't get all upset because companies are having a tough time, because it is going to get worse before it gets better.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.